1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Pixel 2 designs

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Hadron, Aug 3, 2017.

1. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member Thread Starter

I've not seen it discussed here (though I've been away), but to my eye OnLeaks' recent renders suggest that the smaller Pixel 2 is much closer in design to the larger XL 2 than the earlier rumours had suggested.

In particular, I've taken measurements from a screen capture from the video (where the smaller Pixel is horizontal) and reckon that the display is ~124mm long. This is consistent with a 5.5" display with a 2:1 aspect ratio, a choice which gives the same width as the original Pixel's 5" 16:9 display.

Interestingly the difference between this and the claimed device length (145.3mm), i.e. the sum of top+bottom bezels plus frames, is ~21mm. This is almost identical to the difference between the claimed length of the XL2 (157.6mm) and the length of a 6" 2:1 display (136mm). So in fact the smaller and larger models, while not having identical designs, would actually have the same size bezels top and bottom. For comparison, I calculate the difference between display and device lengths for the LG G6 to be 19-20mm, so just fractionally smaller.

So if this information is correct both Pixel 2 models belong to the new "tall screen" category, contrary to earlier rumours. Some will dislike that, but to me it makes the regular Pixel 2 a much more appealing possibility than it was looking.

lunatic59 likes this.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member Thread Starter

Hmm, now GSMArena are showing a blurrycam photo that's claimed to be of the Pixel 2 that matches that design in most respects but has almost exactly the screen and bezels of the first generation Pixel.

The difference is too large to be just a trick of the eye (I measured OnLeaks' renders, and have placed these photos, contrast adjusted to make the screen more visible, next to a picture of the original Pixel), so one or the other is wrong. I know which I would like to be wrong, and I know which I fear is...

(Though that odd rear shot, with a glass panel that reaches one side but not the other, seems so strange that I find it a little hard to believe).

#2 Hadron, Aug 4, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2017