1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Pixel 2 or s8

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by bartjunited, Oct 30, 2017.

1. bartjunited

bartjunited Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 24, 2009
    Which of these 2 would you choose?

Main things to consider

Battery life
    What it does as a phone and multi purpose device if you use it a lot

Take a lot of pics and video

Storage issues.

Tia Bart

Advertisement

2. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    I've no experience of the S8 beyond playing with them in shops. I've been using the Pixel 2 (smaller model) for a week. I'd note that the S8 is different in different countries: the North American moydel used a Qualcomm processor and a Sony camera sensor, the rest use a Samsung processor and sensor.

Battery life: all I can say is that I've found the Pixel 2 very good. Battery life really is individual: it depends on how you use the phone, what your coverage is like, how high you set the brightness, etc, so one person's experience is likely to differ from another's. But I've consistently got a full day's use with 7 hours screen on time with what I find a comfortable brightness, so I have no problems with it.

I don't know how to answer your second question, because it is too vague. What actually do you want it to do?

I don't like over-processed photos, so in that respect the Pixel is better as a camera for my tastes than the S8. But many people like Samsung's processing. I can only suggest you look at reviews, samples, and user's photos posted on the web, and decide for yourself which one you prefer (if either).

What sort of storage issues do you have in mind? The S8 has 64GB + SD expansion. The Pixel has no expansion, but has 64GB and 128GB options and comes with unlimited Google cloud storage for photos and videos. It really depends on your requirements.

Otherwise, what else matters to you? The Pixel has better speakers, the S8 possibly a more attractive design. The curved sides of the S8 are either a plus or minus to you, depending on your tastes. The S8 has more features, but it depends whether you need them. The Pixel unquestionably has better software support, and longer (3 years of OS updates - which is a plus if you keep your phones that long, irrelevant if you don't). And they are quite different in their interfaces: the Pixel is pretty much stock Android, while Samsung are as far as you can get from that while still having Android underneath. Or you may not care either way: both are perfectly usable. The S8 has a headphone jack, which is more convenient than an adapter but I couldn't say how the quality compares (I do slightly prefer the HTC adapter to the Google one on my Pixel - both are compatible so I have the choice). The Samsung display is brighter and more exaggerated in its colours: again, some like that, some don't.

I'll end with the advice I always give with these things: go into a shop and handle both, and see which you like best. Both will work well, so simply which you feel happier with is an important consideration, and only you can judge whether one simply feels better to you than the other.

(Of course the literal answer to the question "which would you choose?" is that I chose the Pixel, even though I could have got the S8 much more cheaply. But the right choice for me - and I do feel this was the right choice for me - is not necessarily the right choice for you).

bartjunited likes this.
  3. mjussupov

mjussupov Member
    None

Oct 6, 2017
    Go with s8

4. bartjunited

bartjunited Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 24, 2009
    Thanks a lot for the detailed reply it's useful.

So I'm in London so it woudl be the European version of the device.

I've had samsungs since the s5 and currently have the s7 edge. The reason for looking for another handset is that I have cracked the screen and being asked a small fortune to get it repaired. And ironically the edge gimmick has annoyed me because I don't use any of teh edge stuff but most of all I can't put a tempered glass protector on as when this sits on a Case it keeps coming off. And what happened... Dropped the phone a few times and glass has cracked.

I use my phone a lot for surfing, buying stuff and whatsapp as I use it for my dj business.

I don't use the bloatware and am very much bought into the google experience.

So key for me is the speed of the phone, ability to multi task and take photos of my kids and at gigs.

Pixels no sd card slot worries me as I have a 64 gig card in my s7 and have nearly maxed that. So moving to a phone with no additional storage might be a concern as how will I see all the data that I have on my current SD card.

I've read the fingerprint scanner works really well on the pixel whereas on the s7 I find it useless

EE who are my service provider are giving me a better deal on thw pixel too.

Any more thoughts??.