• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Pixel 2 XL microphone

Shaneymac81

Sep 28, 2014
I have an issue with my Pixel 2 xl when on video calls on apps like Zoom, WhatsApp etc. The others on the video call cannot make out what I'm saying and it sounds very muffled. Strangely there is no problem with others hearing me when I use the speaker option on a normal phone call.

I'm thinking this relates to an issue with one or more of the microphones. Possibly the one in the small hole at the top of the phone. I did mistake it for the sim card hole a while ago and stick a pin in it.

Any way of identifying if that's the issue and then maybe disabling that microphone and just using the other two on the phone?

Many thanks

Thanks but I have this issue on other apps that support video calls including WhatsApp and Signal. I was thinking that maybe these apps use all 3 microphones on the Pixel 2 xl whilst going on speaker mode on a normal call it maybe still only uses the bottom microphone as it isn't a problem. Any way of isolating / disabling microphones? I did get a can of pressurised air but it hasn't made a difference

Upvote 0
I think you're probably right about it being an issue with the microphone at the top of the phone, particularly since you gave it a little poke. I think it's typically used for canceling out ambient noise while on a phone call (not while on speakerphone though) so it may be given the system some confusing data.

I don't know of any way to disable this behavior. The best workaround might be to use a headset for video calls, if that's an option.

Upvote 0
Thanks. Covering the hole on calls doesn't seem to work... Another option would be to fill the hole with glue, bad idea?

Yes, using a headset for video calls is a workaround. The phone is almost 3 years old now so obv well out of warranty. I suppose another option is to send it back to Google for repair. At this stage prob best to save that money for a new phone esp as this phone won't receive support from Google after android 11 comes in...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones