1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

pixel 3 email unread count disappears?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by dan55, Mar 27, 2020.

1. dan55

dan55 Android Expert

hi guys,

just moved from pix2 to pix3 and noticed that when i clear the notification in the top bar, the badge count vanishes too :/
    ....both devices are on and10 and both using nova prime

on the pix2 the unread count remains :/

thanks
    dan

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

How are the unread counts set up on the Pix 3? Nova can use Android's native unread count, which is derived from the notifications, or it can use TeslaUnread (no longer developed but still functions fine). The TeslaUnread version persists after you swipe notifications away, but I'm pretty certain none of the other options do.

(It is fairly typical that when Google finally add such support to the OS they do it in a half-baked way that's inferior to what both some OEMs and third-party developers had done).

codesplice likes this.
  3. dan55

dan55 Android Expert

hi Hadron,
    ....yes i even installed tesla unread just to see if that helped but didnt seem to ...... tis odd that both devices are on and10 with latest nova prime and seem to operate differently ... unless pix3 has a slightly different and10 version :/
    cheers
    dan

....surprised the google doesnt want tm make a better job of their pix models ... almost got a new pix4 ... that would been mistake as no finger scanner at all! :/

#3 dan55, Mar 27, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
  4. Hadron

VIP Member

That is very strange.

Google puzzle me quite often. The Nexus strategy I could see: make one reference phone each year, generally not a spec leader but a reasonably-priced showcase for the OS. The Pixel "a" models come close to that. But the regular Pixels have been marketed as Google flagship devices but the hardware doesn't get the attention that an outfit with Google's resources could devote to them:

* The original Pixel was a dull device with huge bezels that served no purpose (no speakers, no buttons, just dead space) and lacking features people would expect in a flagship (e.g. no IP rating when they had been standard for years)

* The Pixel 2 was a16:9 design 6 months after that became old hat, while the 2XL had a below-par display

* The Pixel 3XL had the worst implementation of the notch ever (some people carped that the regular 3 had "large" bezels, but they were balanced and held front-facing speakers, I personally think the design was fine)

* The Pixel 4 has the gimmick scanner and, to make space for it, a top-heavy design, but no fingerprint scanner

I'm not joking when I say that as long as they release a 128GB model I'd take the rumoured 4a over the regular 4 any day: better design, and I'll take a headphone jack and fingerprint scanner over a pointless radar thing any day, being half the price would just be a bonus.

Maybe they'll get there with the 5 (after all, it would be very Google of them to make a fuss of the new scanner and then drop it the next year), but my guess is that they'll do something that's either strange or a hang-over from 2019.

5. dan55

dan55 Android Expert

yes it is a shame as for me i like the small format of the 2+3 pix

....further testing ... even new sms notificaions ..when swipped away ... removes the app badge :/

6. Hadron

VIP Member

Yeah, that's the Google implementation all right. If I change my notification settings to use anything other than TeslaUnread I get the same. Very odd that TeslaUnread might behave differently on the 3 though.

codesplice likes this.
  7. codesplice

codesplice Elite Recognized Moderator

NightAngel79 likes this.
  8. dan55

dan55 Android Expert

thanks CS ..... thats a bit poor imo as i use it all the time so i can clear active notifs and leave the app badge showing .... bleedin google :/ :D
    ta

9. dan55

dan55 Android Expert

nova support say defo google mess up .... was probably using tesla unread before and now that isnt supported in store :(

10. Hadron

VIP Member

But didn't you install TeslaUnread?

11. dan55

dan55 Android Expert

yes i did.. so doesn't quite make sense ... it's like the pix3 is running different and10 version almost

12. dan55

dan55 Android Expert

just spotted that a11 beta will be out soon ... hope they revert the unread change :/ .... wonder if you can roll back to a9 using the android installer app ;)

13. dan55

dan55 Android Expert

14. Hadron

VIP Member

Actually I just had a thought: what mail app are you using?

The reason is that some apps are natively supported by TeslaUnread, and for others it has to try working out the badge count from the notifications. And while I thought it used to be smart enough for the second type that the count persisted after the notification was swiped, I just did a little test with one of those (ProtonMail) and swiping the notification removed the badge. Both of my main email apps (Nine and FairEmail) do have native TeslaUnread support, so for those there is no connection to notifications: you can mark a mail unread (a process which doesn't generate a notification) and the badge reappears.

So rather than it being an obscure difference between the way TeslaUnread works on different devices, it could just depend on what email app you are using. Is that the same on both of your devices?

15. dan55

dan55 Android Expert

hi Hadron,
    ah i see right ... kim using Nine email ... but also get the issue with stock sms app .....think i dont get is that both my pix2 and pix3 are android 10 using nova ... but all the unread badges work ok on the pix2 :/ ...... assume sumink in the pix3 a10 build must be different
    ta

16. Hadron

VIP Member

It's hard to understand though, since this should just be between those apps and TeslaUnread (and I don't like things I can't understand ;)).

You've gone into TeslaUnread settings and specifically set them as active? Screenshot_20200407-131655.png

17. dan55

dan55 Android Expert

hi - ta for pic - yes i had to download TUR from their own website as it is removed from store now ... and then i toggled the apps on

.....tesla say it isnt used / needed anymore :/

i think google have brokne it! :( :D ..... hope a11 reverts the change

ta

18. dan55

dan55 Android Expert

Hadron likes this.

Google Pixel 3 & 3XL Forum

The Google Pixel 3 & 3XL release date was November 2018. Features and Specs include a 6.3" inch or 5.5" inch screen, 12MP camera, 4GB RAM, Snapdragon 845 processor, and 3430mAh or 2915mAh battery.

November 2018
Release Date
Reviews