• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Pixel 6 pro hardly Professional NO MANUAL CONTROL FOR CAMERA

kdt7

Lurker
Jul 13, 2022
Recent purchase of a Pixel 6 pro has been very disappointing for me. As a life long photographer I feel cheated. The camera maybe ok for the point and shoot crowd but not what I would consider as "Pro". The jpgs are too processed and artificial looking and the RAW function is limited. Video is also very limited by the auto only functions. Panorama photo functions are useless. My old Samsung S9 does a better job on this.

Is there going to be an update or app to address these issues ?

Last edited:
Recent purchase of a Pixel 6 pro has been very disappointing for me. As a life long photographer I feel cheated. The camera maybe ok for the point and shoot crowd but not what I would consider as "Pro". The jpgs are too processed and artificial looking and the RAW function is limited. Video is also very limited by the auto only functions. Panorama photo functions are useless. My old Samsung S9 does a better job on this.

Is there going to be an update or app to address these issues ?

Upvote 0

Hi markdoc, As you can see this is my first post so am unfamiliar with the site but it appears you only quoted me and did not leave a reply. Can you help me on this? I have tried several apps from the Google play store but have not found any that offer full manual control. Would pay for a full function app. (Shutter speed, Aperture, Manual focus, ISO control, Better RAW, Better panorama function, Better video control)... Thnx

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi markdoc, As you can see this is my first post so am unfamiliar with the site but it appears you only quoted me and did not leave a reply. Can you help me on this? I have tried several apps from the Google play store but have not found any that offer full manual control. Would pay for a full function app. (Shutter speed, Aperture, Manual focus, ISO control, Better RAW, Better panorama function, Better video control)... Thnx

Sorry, I wrote something then decided not to post it. My error. I haven't looked for any apps that increase the ability of the Pixel 6 Pro's camera. I was a photography enthusiast also. My dad was a professional photographer. I use the phone's camera for casual pictures. For real photos, I used a camera. Back in the day I used film cameras with multiple lenses. More recently, I used a real camera for real photos. I never expected to get true quality photographs from a phone. I'm an old man that never understood the deal of the cameras on phones. Phones are about sound, cameras are for pictures. I'm not arguing, just explaining my position. I understand the ease of using a camera phone, but if you want the ability to manipulate your settings, I would use a camera.:thumbsupdroid:

Upvote 0
I have far too many "real" cameras at the moment ;) It always surprises me what can be done on a phone photography wise. My phone has a leash on me and I have always said the best camera is the one you have in your hands when you need it !

I agree that a "real" camera is better. I have been a professional motion picture cameraman for over 30 years. Using mostly 35mm film cameras like the Panaflex and Arriflex. I miss the film days but I have to say Digital photography has truly revolutionized the film industry as well as professional and amateur photography. Digital keeps getting better and better. These advances take place by pushing the boundaries.

Last edited:
Reactions: markdoc
Upvote 0
I have far too many "real" cameras at the moment ;) It always surprises me what can be done on a phone photography wise. My phone has a leash on me and I have always said the best camera is the one you have in your hands when you need it !

I agree that a "real" camera is better. I have been a professional motion picture cameraman for over 30 years. Using mostly 35mm film cameras like the Panaflex and Arriflex. I miss the film days but I don't like to compare film to Digital photography as the latter has truly revolutionized the film industry as well as professional and amateur photography. Digital keeps getting better and better. Advances take place by those that push the boundaries.
I completely understand. That was just what I like. I hope you find an app that helps solve your issues. Have you tried a Google search for android camera apps? It gave me a list of 19 different apps. Some were to edit photos but others were camera add-ons, I think. Try it, maybe you'll find one that will help.

Upvote 0
Yes, since I purchased the phone I have been looking at various apps and tried several through the app store but they don't seem to be compatible with the Pixel 6 pro. I have written to a few of the developers but have had no luck as yet. Thanks for the suggestion to search "Android camera apps" I have been trying "Pixel 6 manual camera apps" and a few others. Perhaps someone on this forum will point me in the right direction.

Appreciate you return!

Reactions: markdoc
Upvote 0
I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for Google to change these things. Google are into their computational photography, and manual control isn't part of that. In the 4 years I had a Pixel they never changed the amount of manual control available (very little).

Though I'm surprised by your comparison with the s9 in one respect: my s21's photos are more over-processed than my Pixel 2's were (though I knew that was a risk, since while they have improved Samsung have always leaned that way). But it does have more manual control (though not really over the processing - I always want to tone things down slightly).

Still, that's what real cameras are for... ;)

"Pro" is just a meaningless marketing term when you find it in a product name. What would a "professional" phone be anyway?

Upvote 0
Like @Hadron mentioned, Google's approach is to use software magic so that The Average User doesn't need to mess about with manual controls to get great shots. They don't want to overwhelm users with a bunch of knobs and buttons or force users to feel like they have to learn how to use the app.

It's absolutely designed for the point-and-shoot crowd - but I've also seen some truly remarkable shots captured on Pixel phones (with the stock camera app) by photographers who know what they're doing. The software magic really seems to let you focus on finding the right composition and lighting rather than tweaking endless settings, and I'm typically amazed by the results.

If you find that you do need manual controls, though, check out Open Camera:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.sourceforge.opencamera
It's open-source, regularly updated, and uses the latest Camera2 API for tight integration with the camera hardware.

Upvote 0
Thanks for your input on this. My first job was as a camera salesman when the automatic SLR cameras were becoming popular. Many people were just not interested in learning the 3 basic functions of a manual adjustable camera. (Shutter speed, Aperture and focus). These functions when understood are the cornerstones of photography and film making. Even today's most sophisticated cameras do best when used manually .That is not to say great results cannot be achieved in auto cameras and phones. I am just frustrated when Google's settings screw up the effect I am trying to achieve. In learning how these systems work it is possible to get nice results but at times it is more difficult and time consuming than if I had manual settings.

The reference to my old Samsung S9 was with regards to taking Panorama photos. Over time I learned how to use this camera to great effect in an unconventional way. The newer phones seem to have done away with the way the S9 worked and use a photo stitch method that should be left to Photoshop.

A Professional phone or camera would be the one that gives you the option to use it manually ;) I guess the marketing people have had their way again with the English language.

I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for Google to change these things. Google are into their computational photography, and manual control isn't part of that. In the 4 years I had a Pixel they never changed the amount of manual control available (very little).

Though I'm surprised by your comparison with the s9 in one respect: my s21's photos are more over-processed than my Pixel 2's were (though I knew that was a risk, since while they have improved Samsung have always leaned that way). But it does have more manual control (though not really over the processing - I always want to tone things down slightly).

Still, that's what real cameras are for... ;)

"Pro" is just a meaningless marketing term when you find it in a product name. What would a "professional" phone be anyway?

Upvote 0
Thanks for suggesting the Open camera app. It does not give me the simple manual operation option on my PIXEL 6 PRO but the interface is simple and gives slightly less processed jpg's. I will spend more time with it. It looks like it only gives access to the main camera and I have not found any way to alter the aspect ratio to go wide screen. I know this is not using the sensor to full advantage but I prefer to shoot wider than 4x3.
Google magic is fine but how hard would it be to have one more mode available for serious photographers. This mode would not prevent their automatic functions from working and it certainly would make me consider buying another Google phone. As it stands this one will be my last unless they can see this as an opportunity to produce a truly Professional phone. There must be many more people out there that feel this way..

Like @Hadron mentioned, Google's approach is to use software magic so that The Average User doesn't need to mess about with manual controls to get great shots. They don't want to overwhelm users with a bunch of knobs and buttons or force users to feel like they have to learn how to use the app.

It's absolutely designed for the point-and-shoot crowd - but I've also seen some truly remarkable shots captured on Pixel phones (with the stock camera app) by photographers who know what they're doing. The software magic really seems to let you focus on finding the right composition and lighting rather than tweaking endless settings, and I'm typically amazed by the results.

If you find that you do need manual controls, though, check out Open Camera:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.sourceforge.opencamera
It's open-source, regularly updated, and uses the latest Camera2 API for tight integration with the camera hardware.[/QUOTE

Upvote 0
I'd encourage you to use the Send feedback option buried in the Google Camera settings to share your thoughts with the development team. They seem to be under the impression that the vast majority of users want a simple point-and-click experience. The feedback mechanism is your best opportunity to let them know otherwise.

Who knows - if they get enough feedback like yours maybe they will consider implementing more manual controls in a future version.

Reactions: kdt7 and markdoc
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones