• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

nhjonesy

Lurker
Mar 21, 2013
I have used the email app Nine on my Google Pixel 2 XL for years to access my Microsoft 365 accounts without issue (I don't like the Outlook app). Recently I noticed when trying to add contacts in the default Pixel contacts app, I no longer have an option to add contacts to my Microsoft 365 accounts. The app only shows me Google accounts and if I select the option to add a new account, it is wanting credentials to a Google account. I checked settings in Nine and found the option to sync contacts for all of the Microsoft account were switched off, so I switched them back on. Unfortunately that did nothing to fix the issue - the Pixel contacts app still doesn't see contacts in the Microsoft accounts and it doesn't give me an option to add new ones. I see no way to change the default Contacts app so now I'm screwed if I need to add a new contact from a recent call or SMS message because both the Pixel phone app and SMS app are only looking at the Pixel contacts app. Has anyone else had a similar issue with the Pixel Contacts app and access to contacts in Microsoft 365 accounts?

I don't actually use MS contacts, even though I do use Nine, but can confirm the same behaviour here: the Pixel contacts app will not offer me the option to add contacts to my Exchange accounts. Funnily enough contacts sync was turned off on my Nine also (though since I don't use its contacts that may have been a choice on my part), but turning it on and rebooting made no difference . But I can't say for sure that this is new because I never stored contacts in any of my Exchange accounts.

(I do notice that the Pixel app does offer device-only contacts, which I'm not sure it always did.)

You can change the default phone app, so if you can find a phone app that allows you to use a different contacts app that would solve it. However my alternate dialer, Simple Dialer, still takes me to the Google contacts app rather than Simple Contacts, which I also have installed but which also does not let me save to the Exchange accounts.

Of course if you just need to add a phone number it's easy: copy the number (which may require starting to add a phone or Google contact) and then create a MS contact using that.

Unfortunately it works the other way too: Nine only shows contacts from my Exchange accounts, so you can't say just create a device-only contact and them import it to your MS contacts book (I don't have Office 365 account details on my phone, but assume it would be similar to Exchange accounts).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones