• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Pixel XL call quality

opalfrog

Jan 6, 2013
Michigan
I finally got my Pixel XL and have had it for a few days now. During phone calls the sound quality sounds a lot like a drive thru speaker. It more noticeable with some people and at higher volumes and certain pitches. I know people have made comments about speaker quality with listening to youtube, music, etc but haven’t heard anyone ever mention phone calls specifically and mine only seems to do it with phone calls. I went to a Verizon store and they ran some tests and the kid there, who I’m guessing his last job was at the drive thru window at a fast food place, told me it sounded fine and tests came back fine. Has anyone else noticed this?

My last phone was a Note 4 and all the other phones before it always had crystal clear call quality. I really like the phone and the quality isn’t always to bad but I don’t know if I wanna deal with it for the next 2 years.

I went to a different Verizon and the guy told me it sounded like the speaker was bad. He told me they would send me a new phone but I had to go to a different store since they were just a franchise. I go to the new store and the guy there tells me he can order me a band new phone and it will be here in 2 or 3 days. Honestly I thought they were gonna tell me I'd have to wait 2 months. I check online to see my phone has just shipped and its "Guaranteed Like-New". *sigh* So today I was back on the phone with Verizon to find out what the issue is now and no one knows why that happened. She couldn't cancel the order since it already shipped. The one time I need them to be slow and they're fast. I have to wait till the phone gets here and she said that it may still be a new phone but I won't know till I see it. They tell me as long as it's in all of it's original packaging its a new phone. A refurbished one would come in a bag. If it's not new I have to call them and, again, they'll send out another one.

Anyone know how to tell for sure, other than packaging, if it's a refurbished phone?

Upvote 0
I got my replacement phone in the mail. It was just the phone by itself. The original wrapping was around it but otherwise the phone was by itself in a return box.

So I called Verizon and told them what happen and they tell me to go back to the store….again and they’d note that I’m entitled to a new phone since the one they sent me wasn't. They said that they might be able to set it up so I could use the refurbished phone while I wait for the new one to come. (wishful thinking)

I’ve been too busy to go to a decent Verizon so I had to settle for the one near my house. Of course me keeping the refurbished phone was out the window as soon as I mentioned it. Then they tell me the only way to get a phone is to charge me the full amount on my account and have it taken off when the phone arrives but because it’s so back ordered it would be on the bill for about 2 months. Also, cause there’s always more good news with them, they can only charge up to a certain amount so I’d have to pay about $150 out of pocket up front. At this point I'm thinking about cashing in my first offense.

So back on the phone with Verizon I go. They look up the number on the back of the phone and inform me that it looks like someone had ordered the phone but canceled it cause it was never actually activated. I ask why the phone wasn't in it's original box and he tells me that when an order is canceled they send it to the warehouse and test it to make sure it wasn't damaged while being shipped or at any other point. They acted like this phone was never touched by human hands but still felt the need to take it out of the box. I ask him "So your telling me that if someone orders a phone but changes they're mind and cancels they're order this phone still gets opened?" They tell me yes and that makes no sense. They made it sound like Verizon has a group of people at their warehouse that goes crazy and rips open all the boxes and throws all the contents away if you so much as put a phone in your shopping cart and don't complete the order.

At this point I'm so sick of dealing with them I decide to give the phone they sent me a try. These people fought me on every single detail of this and screwed up everything they were supposed to do to fix it. If they would've just put in the order at the beginning the dumb phone would've been here by the time I got everything straightened out.

So far I'm glad to say the phone works and sounds fine and if I have any trouble in the future and they give me a hard time about it being considered refurbished I will not be responsible for my actions.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones