1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Places "stand alone" App vs. Google Maps? Same thing??

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by scudder, May 22, 2011.

1. scudder

scudder Android Expert

Hello...

Been doing some cleaning, purging, culling of apps and other crap in my app drawer on my EVO. I noticed that there is a "Places" stand alone app which is pretty much THE SAME THING as the search function at the top of my Google Maps app when I launch Maps.

I was wondering if any knew if these two apps run independently of each other?? Can I freeze or uninstall the "Places" app in my app drawer WITHOUT affecting the same functions in the Google Map app??

THANKS!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. smankins

smankins Well-Known Member

From the Android Market description for Google Maps - don't know if it has always been this way, though:

Download the latest release of Google Maps, and never carry a paper map again.Get Google Maps with Navigation (Beta), Places, and Latitude
    *Navigation: Free, voice-guided GPS navigation system
    *Places: Find, rate, and get recommendations for places
    *Latitude: See friends on the map and check in at places

I have Google Maps, Navigation, and Places as three separate apps (system apps from Virgin Mobile phone) so you have got me wondering if I could get rid of two of them. I am rooted and have Titanium backup so I can freeze apps.

3. mazka

mazka Newbie

I think it is more of a shortcut/pointer too, a function in maps rather than a full blown app. Maybe it is separated out for update purposes, but I doubt it takes much space.

4. Member196159

Member196159 Guest

I believe this is correct.

When they first integrated Places into Maps, I deleted the Places app from my Nexus One.

Later, after the update (may have been a subsequent update) I found Places finding it's place (pun intended) back in the app drawer.

5. amlothi

amlothi Android Expert

Places is now part of Maps. But it shows in the app drawer as another icon.

The old version, before it was integrated with Maps, was called Places Directory. (Personally, I liked that one better.)

6. scudder

scudder Android Expert

A-ha! And that was probably going to be my follow up question regarding Places Directory! I am rooted and use Titanium Backup so I can freeze, uninstall and backup system apps. I had an archive copy of Places Directory and didn't remember what it did when I uninstalled.

With the suggestion that Places is now an integrated part of Google Maps, I'm gonna "freeze" the Places stand-alone app and see if anything wacky happens with the Places functioning in Maps. Will report back...