1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Placing Olympus V calls with my T-Mobile 4G Hotspot - How and Why ?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by loumalnati, May 21, 2011.

1. loumalnati

loumalnati Member
    None

Mar 23, 2011
    I recently bought a Tmobile 4G Mobile Hotspot. The TMobile dude said if I have an Android phone I can route all my calls via the Tmobile 4G Mobile Hotspot. This would be great as I can move down from my 40 USD a month Virgin Mobile plan and apply the 20 in savings toward my 30 USD a month plan mobile broadband plan with T-Mobile.

I have 3 questions.

1-How do I set this up on the LG Optimus V
    2-How does my Olympus V know to route the phone calls to my T-Mobile Hotspot and let the T-Mobile network make the call
    3-Why would T-Mobile allow this as wouldn't a lot of people buy the hotspot to direct there calls and save themselves a lot of money by buying a cheap rate plan with there carrier ?

Advertisement

2. benslgdroid

benslgdroid rockstar
    None

May 18, 2011
    Male
    production assistant (pa), graphic artist
    Magrathea
    You would have to use Google voice and the app groove IP which lets you make voip calls from your phone over a WiFi network which it does work but Google voice gives you a different number than your cell number and Google voice is free but the app is about $5. Make sure your WiFi is connected to your hotspot.

3. JerryScript

JerryScript Android Expert
    None

Mar 15, 2011
    Las Vegas
    GrooveIP is the easiest solution, but there are also SIP options that work, with alot of setup.

4. kc3

kc3 Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 6, 2011
    US
    You could use Skype, it's not free though, it's $3 a month for unlimited nation-wide calling BUT you can set it up to show your cell phone number for your caller id. To setup the caller id sadly you've gotta get sent a text to your cell phone from Skype to verify your number but they do charge a small amount for that, now it's only pennies but you have to add money to your Skype account to do this and I think you have to put like $10, but that is a one-time thing. I use it for calling at home and talking to people over 3g where I don't care if they have the best call quality :p the call quality is pretty nice though :)

5. loumalnati

loumalnati Member
    None

Mar 23, 2011
    Why would I need my tmobile hotspot for google voice... Can't I go directly to my web browser in my lg Olympus v and make calls using google voice...it sounds like there is an advantange to using a wifi spot

6. benslgdroid

benslgdroid rockstar
    None

May 18, 2011
    Male
    production assistant (pa), graphic artist
    Magrathea
    It doesn't work through your web browser.

7. loumalnati

loumalnati Member
    None

Mar 23, 2011
    Got it...the reason I asked is bc if u go to the google voice video for mobile apps it says to go to your browser..it never specified that it needed to be over wifi..thx for the clarification. :)

Tags: