1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Plagued by ads

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Zlig, Jan 18, 2014.

1. Zlig

Zlig Newbie
    None

Jan 18, 2014
    Hi,

I have been plagued by ads from "Mobogenie" for the last few months. Nothing I do, save disabling java, stops this incredibly annoying spam.

It happens when I browse to certain websites such as Sky News, and the message or variations of it read something like this:

"The page at Adserving says: Mobogenie - Play NOW"

Does anyone experience similar issues? I do not have any of their software installed on my Galaxy S3 running Android 4.3.

I have Avast installed and it hasn't detected anything amiss. I have also unsuccessfully ran a host of adware detection apps, all to no avail.

Is there a gaping huge hole in Android's security, or is there something I'm doing wrong? :mad:

Attached Files:

Advertisement

2. Rukbat

Rukbat Android Expert
    None

Jan 16, 2012
    Male
    Being retired and writing Tasker tasks.
    Fayetteville, NC, USA
    It's being put out as part of the web page - no popups - so the programs can't see it. You'll just have to learn to ignore iit.

3. Zlig

Zlig Newbie
    None

Jan 18, 2014
    That's easy enough by simply disabling javascript. But I'm surprised that Android users accept being spammed and Google does nothing about it. :thinking:

4. mrex

mrex Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 6, 2012
    Male
    M.Sc.
    Europe
    What exactly should google do? Disable javascript by default?? Well, Google doesn't own internet and can't say what www-page can do or cant do. If it is javascript, you can always turn it off by yourself and it has nothing to do with Android.

5. MoodyBlues

MoodyBlues - Crazy peacock person -
    VIP Member

Jan 27, 2011
    Formerly UNIX/Linux programmer/sysadmin, now disab
    /home/LosAngeles
    I had never visited the site before, but did just now to see what happens. From your screenshot I could see that you're on news.sky.com, so that's where I went, both with my laptop's browser [SeaMonkey] and my phone's browser [the stock Android browser]. I did not get the annoying ad you're getting. More accurately, I didn't get ANY ads. I do not have JavaScript disabled.

I can't tell from your screenshot which browser you're using; which one is it? Have you tried adjusting its pop-up settings? Also, have you tried using other browsers?

Well, THIS Android user isn't getting the ad. :) Which leads me to believe it's not a Google/Android problem, but something else.

6. Zlig

Zlig Newbie
    None

Jan 18, 2014
    I would suggest that they analyse and plug any weaknesses in Android which unscrupulous advertisers are aware of and using to their advantage.

7. Zlig

Zlig Newbie
    None

Jan 18, 2014
    I am using Dolphin - I have noticed this problem on some other sites but definitely not every site. Someone suggested that this behaviour is being caused by a rogue application I installed, so I removed all free applications I installed before the behaviour started.

The behaviour doesn't happen each and every time I visit Sky.com, but my suspicion is that something on my phone is interacting with advertising scripts on certain sites to generate these ads.

8. mrex

mrex Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 6, 2012
    Male
    M.Sc.
    Europe
  9. Zlig

Zlig Newbie
    None

Jan 18, 2014
    Thanks tried this - no problems detected.

10. Slug

Slug Check six!
    None

Aug 1, 2009
    Male
    Mobile phone retail
    Inverness, UK
    There is no weakness in Android. The weakness is in the doofus who messed-up that particular ad banner; it should display as a pop-up or overlay but the code is malformed. The URL displayed is that of the ad server, hosted by BlueAds.

11. Zlig

Zlig Newbie
    None

Jan 18, 2014
    Having suffered through months of these unsolicited spam banners, whether we call it a weakness or otherwise is unimportant. All I know is that I am being spammed on my Android phone, and sadly it appears that there is no solution in sight which is all I am looking for.

Out of interest, what would you call this phenomena, where a malicious advertiser appears to have hijacked my system to promote his product without my consent?

12. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sep 22, 2010
    Teachaaa
    Jinan, China
    Just incase you didn't realise Google are an ad company, most of their $$$$ comes from ads. It's not in their interest to help you in blocking ads. You can always try a third-party ad blocker, but you won't find them on Google Play though.

I've never seen this thing you're seeing. I don't look at sky.com because most of their stuff is not available outside of the UK. Sky are commercial TV, so it's very likely you will be seeing ads on their site, including popups. Also the ads you see are very much determined by the country you're in. I've never seen ads for this "Mobogenie" thing. What browser are you using, have you got popups disabled?

BTW this is how news.sky.com looks for me. There are ads there, but nothing intrusive or annoying IMO. Google Chrome browser.
    [​IMG]
    sky.jpg

13. huh

huh Android Expert
    None

Oct 10, 2012
    Female
    Life
    in total denial
    ok take this for what's it's worth because I am not Android techy...however, I can kind of remember stuff...
    anyway from what I remember hearing or reading or whatever..
    It is a Google algorithm...actually two...one on what ads you click and the other on the web pages visited...dolphin I recall, had problems with this. Mabey a couple more browsers but I recall Dolphin for sure...

anywho...
    try to do a search on google then refresh like 10 times and that will teach...actually more like reset your google stalker:p..........so to speak ...i think...maybe....
    :)

Zlig likes this.
  14. Zlig

Zlig Newbie
    None

Jan 18, 2014
    @mikedt
    "Just incase you didn't realise Google are an ad company, most of their $$$$ comes from ads. It's not in their interest to help you in blocking ads."

I'm sure they don't condone the sort of thing I'm experiencing, irrespective of what their main source of income may be! Ads are one thing, but these are intrusive pop us which interfere with the "normal" use of my phone.

15. Zlig

Zlig Newbie
    None

Jan 18, 2014
    @huh
    Thanks for your suggestion. Unfortunately the problem seems to be coming from the phone itself as I also experience the same problem with Firefox.

It looks as though a solution to this is going to be hard to come by. Thanks very much to all of you who came up with constructive suggestions though :)

16. Note3owner

Note3owner Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 26, 2013
    Try downloading adblock plus. If you root your phone then you can block adds in even application

17. MoodyBlues

VIP Member

Jan 27, 2011
    /home/LosAngeles
    Zlig, I have a couple of thoughts.

First, is your phone rooted?

Second, would you consider doing a factory reset?

18. Zlig

Zlig Newbie
    None

Jan 18, 2014
    Thanks for your reply MoodyBlues.

No it's not rooted. And yes I'd be happy to perform a factory reset, but my concern is how to create a full backup to restore from, without backing up the cause of the problem.

19. Zlig

Zlig Newbie
    None

Jan 18, 2014
    @Note3owner
    If I can avoid rooting the phone I'd be happier, but thanks for your suggestion.

20. MoodyBlues

VIP Member

Jan 27, 2011
    /home/LosAngeles
    You're welcome. :)

Okay, thanks for the info. How about this: Let's move this to the S3 board and see if fellow owners can suggest anything. There may be device specific things that can be done.

If you've only installed apps via Google's Play Store, you should be able to reinstall any/all of those after a reset and, hopefully, be rid of the problem. What I'd do is reinstall things one at a time, then test the web site you're having the ad problem on and see if it reappears. Once you hit on the culprit app...well, you can do whatever you see fit! Like leave a nasty review on its Play page. :eek:

If you've installed anything from sources other than Play, it's very possible something nasty was included in one of them.

One thing you might try before resorting to a reset is to uninstall/reinstall apps one at a time to see if the problem goes away. But--if you're like me and you have A LOT of apps installed--that could be a very, very tedious process.

Hang in there. We have tons of helpful, knowledgeable members. Enough brainstorming and hopefully this will get solved!

Zlig likes this.
  21. Note3owner

Note3owner Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 26, 2013
    @Zlig
    Root is only required for blocking adds in apps. To block adds in internet roots isn't required.

22. Zlig

Zlig Newbie
    None

Jan 18, 2014
    Thanks Note3owner, I'll give adblock plus a whirl in that case. Will let you know if it helps :)

23. Zlig

Zlig Newbie
    None

Jan 18, 2014
    Thanks MoodyBlues, great advice. As you suspect I've only installed software via the PlayStore. I'll go for your suggestion and wait to see if anyone can help solve this mystery before resorting to a factory reset.