• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Plane/Satellite??

P

prassu

Today evening when I came out of office by around 7:15 pm, I saw a trail of smoke made by a jet. I was watching the line as it was slowly getting thin due to wind. Then all of a sudden I could see a white object crossing the smoke trail at a high altitude compared to the trail. I could notice it due to a shine from the sunlight & since the sky was clear. I am not sure if it is a plane/satellite/ISS. It was not static & moving at a good speed. In the limited knowledge I have about airplanes, i think the max height they travel is 30k feet when it makes the smoke trail. but this object was high above that.

Today evening when I came out of office by around 7:15 pm, I saw a trail of smoke made by a jet. I was watching the line as it was slowly getting thin due to wind. Then all of a sudden I could see a white object crossing the smoke trail at a high altitude compared to the trail. I could notice it due to a shine from the sunlight & since the sky was clear. I am not sure if it is a plane/satellite/ISS. It was not static & moving at a good speed. In the limited knowledge I have about airplanes, i think the max height they travel is 30k feet when it makes the smoke trail. but this object was high above that.

747's can cruise at altitudes above 40,000.

Upvote 0
Those trails aren't smoke, they're water vapor condensing out of the engine exhaust. The reason one plane made a visible trail and another didn't is because of different temperatures and humidity levels at those altitudes. This is also why some contrails dissipate very quickly while some last a very long time, and sometimes you can even watch as the trail is only intermittent as the plane flies through varying conditions. I highly doubt you could see even the ISS during the daytime...

Upvote 0
Those trails aren't smoke, they're water vapor condensing out of the engine exhaust. The reason one plane made a visible trail and another didn't is because of different temperatures and humidity levels at those altitudes. This is also why some contrails dissipate very quickly while some last a very long time, and sometimes you can even watch as the trail is only intermittent as the plane flies through varying conditions. I highly doubt you could see even the ISS during the daytime...

Yes I dont think ISS can be viewed during day.I think it would be visible in the night as a slightly bigger object than the stars or planets..

Upvote 0
Yes I dont think ISS can be viewed during day.I think it would be visible in the night as a slightly bigger object than the stars or planets..

Yeah, I've seen plenty of satellites when I was in areas with no significant light pollution. They just look like fast moving stars. :p The ISS just looks brighter than the rest. With a decent telescope you should be able to see some pretty cool detail. Space StationConstruction Visible Through Backyard Telescopes - NASA Science

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones