• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Plans for my circa triannual machine upgrade

Lol - I'm in a Master's of Biotechnology program, so it's not anything that can be considered mission critical. However, I have business files for the last 5 years now gone (I run a private computer repair and refurbish company, sole proprietorship), as well as being in the middle of starting a brand new business (since the beginning of the year) and I just happen to have a DLT drive handy....

Plus, I'm in talks to start another venture, or possibly 2. I need redundancy. Cloud is good and all, but I'm already going to be taxing my Internet connection as it is, one of the future businesses is video intensive. Cloud storage only goes so far - when each video is 2 GB or more, at true HiDef, then you can see where it runs into limitations very very quickly.

Upvote 0
Ahhh okay. I was very curious ;)

Yeah, I have a couple of external drives, and two of them are backups of eachother, one is for files (which were just pushed to the backup drives) and now it is VMs for school. Then there's the new 1Tb drive that I'll fill with media.

---

I guess you could try making a dropbox for each vid file, but that's pushing it ;)
And you'd hate to violate the dropbox TOS and get all your files removed. :0

Upvote 0
Yeah, especially when we're talking like 200-300 files / month....

Since the new rig I built supports USB3, I'm going to grab a USB 3 external - BB had a 1 TB for around $140....

If I can find one online that does both USB 3 and eSATA I'm so there. Since this case supports hotswapping, I installed Windows with AHCI enabled - now I can hot swap to my heart's desire :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones