• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Plasma/LCD/LED

I finally did it.

Last night I purchased a 50" Panasonic Viera 1080p plasma, model number:TC-P50S2. It's the S2 series that features the anti-glare filter. Regular Price was $1,199 but Best Buy had it on sale for $849. I can't say enough good things about the picture quality, okay maybe I can, it's fukkin awesome. Out the box it looked rather ho hum but after tweaking the settings and hooking up everything through HDMI, this TV is gorgeous. Other than looking at getting a sound bar, I have no issues at all.

Yea there are a lot of TVs out there that are better but I must say this is probably the best bang for your buck.

Upvote 0
I finally did it.

Last night I purchased a 50" Panasonic Viera 1080p plasma, model number:TC-P50S2. It's the S2 series that features the anti-glare filter. Regular Price was $1,199 but Best Buy had it on sale for $849. I can't say enough good things about the picture quality, okay maybe I can, it's fukkin awesome. Out the box it looked rather ho hum but after tweaking the settings and hooking up everything through HDMI, this TV is gorgeous. Other than looking at getting a sound bar, I have no issues at all.

Yea there are a lot of TVs out there that are better but I must say this is probably the best bang for your buck.

What settings? Did you do custom or a preset?

I have the 42" Panasonic Viera 1080 p TC-P42G25.

I use the preset "game" for xbox and "THX" for TV and Movies..

There is a recommended custom setting people love floating around the internet but I haven't tried it.

Upvote 0
What settings? Did you do custom or a preset?

I have the 42" Panasonic Viera 1080 p TC-P42G25.

I use the preset "game" for xbox and "THX" for TV and Movies..

There is a recommended custom setting people love floating around the internet but I haven't tried it.

I used TweakTV settings for my model #

HTML:
Picture Mode
- Picture Mode : Cinema
- Color Temperature : Warm
- Aspect Ratio : HD Size 

Picture Settings
- Picture/Contrast :  75
- Brightness : 58
- Color  : +44
- Tint : 0
- Sharpness : +50
- Color Temperature : Warm
- C.A.T.S. : Off
- Video NR : Off
- Blur Reduction : Off

Advanced Picture
- MPEG NR : Off
- Black Level : Light
- Screen Format : Full
- HD Size : Size 1
- 3:2 Pulldown : Auto
Only thing I altered was the contrast. I put it at 50 to help with avoiding burn-in's.

Upvote 0
i love my plasma TV. they got a bad rep from when they first came out but the issues have all been worked out and they're good now. But the price remains low because people still remember that negative reputation.

They are gorgeous - still have their issues though.

Mine has an audible buzzing sound (pretty known Panasonic Plasma issue as I'm reading). Not sure whether I'm going to exchange it or switch it for a different TV.

It's a hit or miss from what I've read on whether you get a buzzing Plasma.. so I'll probably try an exchange first.

If that one buzzes I'm going to switch to an LCD. It's a shame because I prefer the picture/colors of the Plasma over LCD.

Upvote 0
owning both LCD and Plasma i have to say that the plasma did better but this depends on what sort of plasma you buy. usually they say that the best plasmas show deeper shades of black.
however you have to remember that the bigger LCD/LED goes the picture quality gets worse. however plasma is better for larger screens (as u said upto 60inch).
i currently have a Pioneer PDP507XD
and i would recommend Pioneer however they dont make tvs anymore (sad times)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones