1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Platform(s) for real-time automotive GUI

Discussion in 'Android Development' started by Dr Lightning, Nov 1, 2019.

1. Dr Lightning

Dr Lightning Newbie

(((I have decades of real-time and GUI development experience, but am relatively new to Android.)))

I will be hiring out the development of an Android automotive app for use in race cars. In essence, it replaces the dash. So it needs responsive and nice looking automotive style gauges in the GUI, and it needs an architecture that can properly handle the real-time data coming in via USB.

I'm asking on this forum for suggestions of:
    1) open source tools and platforms that can make app development faster and more robust, and
    2) methods and techniques to further assist.

Be aware that this app MUST run on the following hardware: Teclast P80H. Android 7.0. Security Patch Level January 5, 2018. Kernel version 3.18.35. Build number V1.04_20180201. CPU Modem MT8163. CPU Kernel number 4. 1GB Ram. 8GB Flash.

If you've had DIRECT experience in the design/use of circular and other shaped GUI gauges suitable for automotive, please let me know your recommendations. If you have SPECIFIC knowledge of one or more solutions, even without direct experience, please make suggestions. Please note that this opinion may change over time, but for now, I'm not interested in any paid third party solutions... only open source solutions.

If you've had DIRECT experience in real-time apps on Android, handling data or video information passing and so forth, please let me know your recommendations. If you have SPECIFIC knowledge of one or more solutions, even without direct experience, please make suggestions. I've been looking into RTOS versions of Android, but I'm not yet sure if one is actually needed in my case or if my selected hardware can support one.

Your input is GREATLY appreciated.

2. GoodFollow

GoodFollow Lurker

Have you ever tried a low-code platform for that, as far as I know it can be probably good for your needs