• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Play DVDs through Nexus 7

athegn

Android Expert
May 26, 2010
There is much discussion on ripping DVDs for playing on the nexus 7 but I want a different solution.

At present, my wife, has a netbook with an attached DVD player. When on holiday she takes about a dozen films with her in a simple wallet. If these were ripped she would have to decide well in advance what films she wanted to take and only have a few on the Nexus.

Is there a way that an external DVD player can be connected to a Nexus 7 i.e. using the same system she has used up to now?

You could rip them onto a USB drive and then play them from that.

+1, I have all my DVD's ripped and stored on Micro-SD cards. I carry one or 2 32GB Micro-SD's and a small card reader that connects to the microUSB for OTG.

That's 40 full length (non-HD) videos. I can carry another 16GB MicroSD with a bazillion songs (not quite a Google, just a bazillion). Pretty well set for a trip of any length. And way easier than carrying a DVD drive and a wallet of disks with you.

Upvote 0
Thanks for your replies but ripping is the problem. My wife has over 400 DVDs. She makes her choice just as she is about to leave. Ripping would mean I would have to rip all 400 ready for her to download the ones she wants to take. Or rather I would have to ask her which ones she wants downloaded to the device and do that.

It would be better if there is a way to connect the DVD player to the Nexus!

Have one of these cables on order; to connect my 64GB stick to my phone. Will see if I can get the DVD player to work to my phone???

Upvote 0
Well... Make her decide which ones a day or 2 in advance and rip those to a usb/mSD? Ripping a dozen a day in advance is very feasible.

Not always feasible; three weeks ago returned from one trip then two days at home before next trip. I had other things to catch up on.

Still think best option is to connect a DVD player to Nexus or other tablet.

Upvote 0
What is your guys preferred DVD ripping program for PC?
DVD Catalyst is great. The complete program, all options, is available for free download limited only in that it only converts part of the disk or file; the cost for the full license is only $10 at present. It has predefined settings for almost all portable players, and will save in darn near every format you can imagine.

ON ITS OWN, it will not do BluRay disks, but the author has several options for that issue, and really answers emails!

It's a nice program, and there are other useful programs by the author, including a free streaming application for Windows to your tablet.

Upvote 0
DVD Catalyst is great. The complete program, all options, is available for free download limited only in that it only converts part of the disk or file; the cost for the full license is only $10 at present. It has predefined settings for almost all portable players, and will save in darn near every format you can imagine.

ON ITS OWN, it will not do BluRay disks, but the author has several options for that issue, and really answers emails!

It's a nice program, and there are other useful programs by the author, including a free streaming application for Windows to your tablet.
+1 for DVD Catalyst! I used it for the first time yesterday and now have True Grit, Captain America, Ice Age, Stardust, and Nanny Diaries (my wife insisted) ready for my flight to Vancouver.:)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones