1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

play music from nas?

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by RoyMonZ, Jul 25, 2011.

1. RoyMonZ

RoyMonZ Lurker
    None

Jul 25, 2011
    hello everyone

does any have an idea about an app that will allow me to play/stream from my nas box, that is available through a samba share? via wifi

i have tryied a couple of players but they wont work the way i really would like
    the closest i have come is Estrongs File Manager i will allow me to browse the samba share and let me play a single song, but then it will stop.

i havent found any other app that will allow me to play or stream from the share, only download the song from the share and then play it.

any proposals?

Advertisement

2. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande?
    None

Nov 29, 2009
    Android App Developer
    NY
    Welcome to AF!

You might have a look at Gmote -- though it has it's own "server" you need to install as well (written in java).

https://market.android.com/details?id=org.gmote.client.android

Gmote > Android Remote

Another one to check out might be doubletwist, though I'm not sure if it works with samba either.

You might want to have a look in our Android Media forum too -- it covers all topics music/video related and I'm pretty sure there are some related threads in there :)

Android Media - Android Forums

hope that helps!

3. John Redcorn

John Redcorn Android Enthusiast
    None

May 9, 2011
    SMB isn't really a streaming-capable thing, it's for random byte access to a file like a hard drive. ES does some kind of processing of it's own letting them play sort of streaming like that, a single song at a time.

Few things:

1. If you're rooted I'm told you can mount an smb share to local and then a music player should work just as if the mp3s are on the sdcard.

2. I use subsonic streaming server. It's great, has clients for android and ios, great web based client to use on a pc, has server for linux or windows and best of all for me, it transcodes just about ANY VIDEO you have, xvid avis, mkvs, ogms whatever to flash that you can watch on android 2.2+ devices or through a browser on pc.

You can listen outside of the house too since you aren't relying on an smb share.

The subsonic windows server doesn't work with remote media (like on a nas) but the linux one does. (I'm running the linux one perfectly in a 384mb ram fedora 15 virtual machine)

There are some people in the subsonic forum that get the server running on a nas device itself if it's powerful enough.

3. I wouldn't have gone to all the work setting up a virtual machine to host subsonic or setting up subsonic itself just for music. Video was the big thing for me. Any music I have is on grooveshark almost surely and I can play that with tinyshark. Or I could upload all my mp3s to google music and use that, either way I avoid having to run a server myself, but again the video. That's what does it for me.

alostpacket likes this.
  4. RoyMonZ

RoyMonZ Lurker
    None

Jul 25, 2011
    thanks for the welcome

well i dont get it why there haven't been developed a single audio player yet, that has the posibility to play from a samba share

my nas is not a really nas it is a tvix media center with a HDD which is shared over the network which in my eyes makes it a little nas

5. mrqs

mrqs Android Expert
    None

any developments in this (the streaming music part) ?

i've been thinking of getting a "pseudo-nas" with a samba share to access music from a windows pc and android device(s)