• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Play Music Help

SiempreTuna

Android Expert
Jan 11, 2013
Anyone know how to get the utterly, diabolically dreadful Play Music to do the most basic of things and play all the tracks in a Genre :thinking:

I went through all my music and flagged it as the same Genre so I see it all together in Play Music, but it insists on playing it one album at a time :mad:

I can't find a way to get it to play all the tracks in Genre. I think I can get it to play ALL the tracks on the phone but I don't really want to mix Podcasts and Music - I really don't understand why it can't handle music and podcast separately like on EVERY OTHER music player I've seen on a non-Android phone! :banghead:

Play Music really is the worst music player on a phone EVER! :argh: 15 touches where 1 would do - every ******* time!

Alternatively, can you recommend a (free :D) music player that will do what I want and allow me to have controls on the lock screen like Play Music?

Thanks!

EDIT: think I've worked it out: tap the menu option on the Genre and select Add to queue - holy cow: could they make any more obtuse?! If anyone has a recommendation for another Music Player, I'm still interested :D

i don't really care for one particular genre as i prefer a mix but i often just hit the icon in the app and select 'my library' which displays tabs for songs, album, artist, etc and i just hit 'songs' and select 'shuffle all'. that's my preference.

I agree.
Shuffle all is my preference. after all there is only so much music that a SDCard can hold. so it ALL has to be my fav Genre.

Upvote 0
The problem I have is that 'Songs' doesn't actually mean songs: it includes everything whether music or not. Android - or Play Music - is apparently too dumb to know the difference between music and podcasts :stupido2:

Kinda hard to rock out to a history lecture .. :D

I really don't understand why Android can't tell what's music and what's not - iOS can do it, even Symbian did it a decade ago - WTF is wrong with Android :thinking:

Upvote 0
The problem I have is that 'Songs' doesn't actually mean songs: it includes everything whether music or not. Android - or Play Music - is apparently too dumb to know the difference between music and podcasts :stupido2:

Kinda hard to rock out to a history lecture .. :D

I really don't understand why Android can't tell what's music and what's not - iOS can do it, even Symbian did it a decade ago - WTF is wrong with Android :thinking:

Yeh indeed. If I put my MP3s and FLACs on random play. I don't wish to hear podcasts or audio book chapters coming in.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones