• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Play store ads over keyboard

Mick927

Lurker
Jun 22, 2017
Any time I type on anything even now I get ads from the play store above whatever word I am currently typing, if I type "card" my suggested words bar has that word along with words like it as it should, but a white box appears above the suggestions box above that word with the play store logo, if I touch it I get a half or full screen ad for any popular game or app that has anything to do with a card, solitaire for example.

What keyboard is it, some 'free' adware one? Sounds like it could be the keyboard app itself doing it, if it's showing you contextual ads from the words you're actually typing.
it does it with both the original and additional keyboards, I've been using the same keyboard since I bought the phone and this is happening recently

Attachments

• Capture+_2017-06-21-22-35-42.png
    Capture+_2017-06-21-22-35-42.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 198
Upvote 0
I think you're right, the keyboard I use was auto updated, right about the time this started.

Keyboard is "free", but looks like they're monetizing it with keyword ads. It will almost certainly be using up your wireless data with the ads, so could actually be costing you real money as you type. Best find another keyboard I think, Swiftkey myself, but Gboard is good as well.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones