1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Play Store/Amazon Store updates at odds...

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by shmengie, May 8, 2012.

1. shmengie

shmengie Newbie
    None

Feb 21, 2010
    So, I've gotten a couple of the Free Apps of the Day from the Amazon store. No problem, except when there's an update. I'll get a notification from Amazon that there's an update available, and I'll update the app. The Play Store then tells me that there's an update for the same app. If I do that update, I'll then get another notification from Amazon to update the app. And so on, in a vicious circle.

What I've been doing, is just ignoring the Play Store notifications. But, I keep getting bugged to update, and I can no longer say "Update All" in the Play Store. (Well, I mean I can Update All, but that just starts the circle again).

Anyone else have this problem? Any ideas?

Thanks!

Advertisement

2. Rush

Rush {<>}~{<>}
    None

Jan 31, 2011
    Male
    Entrepreneur / Business Owner - Freelance Writer
    Loganville, GA
    If you have the same installed applications on both stores, then most likely you will get that notification. I use to have the same problem when i was installing apps from both.

You should uninstall one of the same app(s) from either stores.

Since this thread is app related, I'll moved it to our Android applications forum.

3. shmengie

shmengie Newbie
    None

Feb 21, 2010
    Thanks for the tip, Rush. Unfortunately, that just doesn't work. I go into the Play Store, and uninstall Documents to Go (for example). Then back to Amazon and install it. Back to the Play Store, and there it is, asking to be updated.

This happens on my current ROM (AKOP 4), but also was happening on the Codename Android ROM. Seems like the 2 stores maybe just don't play (HA! a Google pun!) well together...?

4. FrankXS

FrankXS Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 19, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Uninstall it from Amazon. You can even do it from your PC after logging into your Amazon account and going to the list of "My Devices/Apps" (or similar). Go to the far right "Actions" and choose "Delete this app".

-Frank

5. JimSmith94

JimSmith94 Android Enthusiast
    None

May 5, 2010
    Irving, TX USA
    I got the free Angry Birds Rio from Google Play and later got the Ad-Free version as the free app of the day from the Amazon store. Deleting it from Google Play doesn't help as it still shows up as an available update.

If I uninstall it from Amazon, I will be stuck with ads again. Has anyone been able to get around this?

Edit: I just uninstalled a free app from Amazon, updated it in Google Play, and now it shows that there is an update in Amazon.

It doesn't matter from which store I uninstall/delete, once I do an update from the remaining one, the other one still shows an update available.

6. shmengie

shmengie Newbie
    None

Feb 21, 2010
    Yup, the other app I'm having an issue with is ABR. I'm in the exact same boat as you. Uninstalling from Amazon won't be the solution here.

It's true: Misery loves company! :)

(Phew...talk about first world problems!)

7. wenglish

wenglish Newbie
    None

Jan 31, 2011
    This annoyed me so much when I got an ancient version of Kayak from Amazon and Android Market kept on telling me an update was available (which then would fail) that I stopped using Amazon.

Amazon's free apps of the day aren't worth the aggravation of having to remember where I actually "purchased" each app and resist the temptation to update from the wrong store.

If Amazon had the same selection (at least of useful stuff that I'd be willing to buy) I'd probably just use Amazon and ignore Play, but they don't. Case in point - Copilot and Navigon (I was just looking for them recently, they aren't on Amazon).

Mike