• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Play Store annoying nag pop-up

davoid

Android Expert
Aug 3, 2011
London
Hey guys, is anyone else experiencing an annoying popup in Play Store app that wants you to add your phone number 'in case you forget your login password'?

It happens to me a lot. And there is no way I am going to help google correlate my searching with my actual phone number, completing the identity jigsaw for them.

Really annoying.

I have 2-step verification and use Google Voice so they already have it. Every now and again I get a pop-up asking me to verify my back-up email/phone, but not often. I actually think I get that on my laptop, I don't recall ever getting a pop-up in Play on my phone.

Same here, Google already has my cellphone number that I can use for two-step verification as an alternative to using Authenticator. I did see a pop-up from the website a while back about alternative email and number as well, but not recently. It's for additional security, don't think they're giving it out to spammers and other third-parties though.

Upvote 0
Mike i thought you were english mate, why you sayin "cellphone"? :p

Ok I'll say 手机"shouji" instead. :p

I am English, and originally from the UK. But it's become a bit of a force of habit from teaching English in China for five years...LOL. Although the carrier is actually called "China Mobile", but if I say "mobile phone" and not "cellphone" to many students, it can provoke blank stares. We eat a lot of aubergines here, but if I actually say "aubergine" and not "eggplant", no one understands. It's not all US English though, I'll teach "railway" and not "railroad". I go with what they might know already, and what's in the Beijing produced English textbooks.

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
How bout "pavement"? :D

Yes I walk along the "pavement" to school, unless it's certain "primary school" textbooks, then it's a "sidewalk"...or is that "elementary school"?. I sometimes teach in a "kindergarten", they don't know "nursery school".

Also I crap in a "restroom", but I fly to Beijing on an "aeroplane".

Upvote 0
Even the BBC is losing the plot with English, with Americanisms creeping in all over the place.. I kept hearing about "fresh" information during the ongoing missing MH370 news frenzy, even "airplane" crept into one reporter's coverage. It's just not cricket, old boy :)

Incidentally, "pavement" is more problematic than you might think since it is used in American to mean what we call the carriageway, so the 1970's graffiti "keep death off the road - drive on the pavement" must have caused a few puzzled frowns on American visitors' faces. And telling an American child to "stay on the pavement" may not have the expected result...

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
Well i must admit i find myself using the word "movie" instead of "film". Just because i chat to so many darn americans online lol!
The way my neice and nephew talk disgusts me though, so many americanisms but i "guess" thats the future :)

A local English teacher asked me a few weeks ago, what does "Going to the pictures" mean? She guessed that it meant going to an art gallery.

Upvote 0
We had 2 bath houses, the one I actually went to (never swam! BF was a lifeguard) closed way back in '89 and the other one closed a few years ago. Both were fantastic grotty Victorian ones, neat architectural/stone work. They are still standing but long since closed. Actually, now I'll have to see what, if anything, they are now. Don't go to that area much these days so have no clue...

Upvote 0
The one I used as a kid was Victorian (naturally) and had real bath baths as well as the main pool. They were in a room with "Slipper Baths" on the door and presumably had been used by those with no bath at home. The name struck me as a bit odd and has stuck with me. It closed in the '70s and turned into a bingo hall for a time but eventually it failed to meet fire regulations (if it ever did!) and was demolished sometime in the '80s. I liked going to the baths as a kid though; I was a terrible swimmer but who cared? It was just good fun in those days.

Upvote 0
We have public baths here in China. Usually very nice as well, not at all squalid or dingy. Really because many houses don't have any proper bathing facilities at home. Was staying in a farm house during spring festival, the only bathing they had was washing in a bucket or plastic bowl. So every three days, off to the public baths we went. One for male, one for female.

I remember a Victorian one in Bristol, but that closed in the 1970s. Some Victorian swimming pools still had "Swimming Pool and Public Baths" carved in the wall, even though the public bathing closed decades previously. I can just remember my grandparents' Victorian, two up, two down terraced house in Bootle, Merseyside in the early '70s, now demolished, that had no bath and the toilet was outside at the back.

Hmmm this thread seems to have become somewhat derailed....LOL.

Upvote 0
Lol! I actually thought going to the pictures was a scottish thing. How about going "to the baths" meaning the swimming pool?
Lol sorry Davoid :D

My father always said going to the pictures, and he was originally from Merseyside. Think the Mongolian, English teacher picked it up from a book she was reading. The local teachers and students here are often asking me about idiomatic phrases.

We have public bathing here, so going to the baths, I presume would mean that rather than going swimming.

Upvote 0
Lol i hope Davoid isnt too pissed (american pissed) when he sees what we've done to his thread :D

hmmm.

lol

I also know 'going to the pictures' AND 'swimming baths'. My dad used to take me to the swimming baths when I was a kid. It was a pool - it had a high diving board and nobody started soaping themselves under their armpits.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones