1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Play store Credit card Question

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by montermahan, Oct 4, 2014.

1. montermahan

montermahan Lurker

I do not want to use my credit card info over the cell phone, why is it required for some free apps in the store?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. badblue1

badblue1 * TRUCKS ARE BEAUTIFUL *

I've never had to use my credit card for free apps.

3. montermahan

montermahan Lurker

It sends me to a place that say's to "complete account setup". it wants credit card info or paypal account, neither of which I want to give out for something free. MM

4. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Could you post a screenshot? Never seen that before for free apps.

mikedt likes this.
  5. mikedt

mikedt 你好

I've never seen Play demanding CC info for free apps, in fact I was using Play for a couple of years without ever registering any payment details.

6. kcerica

kcerica Newbie

Is it for an app or is it for a book, video, or song?
    In my experience I always need a payment option linked to my Google (Wallet) account for free books, videos, & music, but never needed one for apps unless they're paid apps.

mikedt likes this.
  7. mikedt

mikedt 你好

I found it to be the same for free books and songs, not apps, you have to have payment details even though there's no charge, it's likely because of publishers' distribution rights. e.g. if a book is US only, you have to have a credit card from a US bank.

8. Brian706

Brian706 I like turtles!

There should be an option to skip payment if you're just getting a free app. If you want to go around that completely or even get paid apps without a credit card, buy yourself a play gift card and redeem it on the play store. Thus you have money to spend but never have to give your cc info.

Alternatively, purchase a visa gift card at the store and enter the gift card as your credit card.

codesplice and Rook98101 like this.
  9. Rook98101

Rook98101 Lurker

Great tip...wish there was a major huge ginormous sticky on how to keep your privicy. Recently bought my first "smartphone". I swear the primary purpose of this device is for goggle to get every shred of my personal data they possibly can.