• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Play store is killing me! Authentication required but impossible!

CTux

Lurker
Sep 7, 2012
Play store has got me pulling my hair out. I've looked on loads of forums and tried different things but nothing has worked.

I'm using Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-19100G and every time I try to access the Play Store it says "Authentication is required. You need to sign in to your Google Account". I thought it was a problem with Market-place being outdated but I've now upgraded and have Play Store but it's still happening. I can sign in to all Google features, the Samsung App Store but not Play.

I've signed in of course, tried resetting the app cache etc, set up a new Google account, updated to the new firmware, restored factory settings. I'm now completely out of ideas.

I'm currently based in South Sudan but my ISP is in Denmark and Google account is set to UK.

Please help!

Thanks,
C.

Hello, there... Other than clearing data from the Play Store app, I don't have any other suggestions at this time. Hopefully someone who has more knowledge of the situation might chime in to help.

I hope you'll find a way of getting this problem behind you. ;)

OK, I've also heard of clearing the cache under Google frameworks services', try that too.

Upvote 0
Play store has got me pulling my hair out. I've looked on loads of forums and tried different things but nothing has worked.

I'm using Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-19100G and every time I try to access the Play Store it says "Authentication is required. You need to sign in to your Google Account". I thought it was a problem with Market-place being outdated but I've now upgraded and have Play Store but it's still happening. I can sign in to all Google features, the Samsung App Store but not Play.

I've signed in of course, tried resetting the app cache etc, set up a new Google account, updated to the new firmware, restored factory settings. I'm now completely out of ideas.

I'm currently based in South Sudan but my ISP is in Denmark and Google account is set to UK.

Please help!

Thanks,
C.

Try this method for the factory data reset, Ctux (I wouldn't back up much of anything, because you may put the broken or rogue service or program back into the system when you do a restore.. just start over):

1. Turn the POWER OFF, pull the battery out and put it back again.
2. Simultaneously press the Volume Up, Home and Power button
3. If the Samsung Symbol appears, release the Power button
4. A Boot Menu will then show, Use the volume up/down to choose and home to select.

Wait 'till the process completes, Once the wipe is completed, the Samsung Galaxy S II l9100 will then reboot. All the data you previously installed already been deleted and then the phone will then return to its original factory fresh default settings.

Upvote 0
I had the same problem.. what did the trick for me was going to my phone's "Settings", Apps, All, Google Play Store, Clear data.. Then I went to "Account & Sync", Google, Remove Account..

After doing everything(above).. I also went to "Security" (Setting--->General---->Security). Find "Phone Administrators" then click, "Android Device Manager"... Deactivate it!

Now, reboot your phone.. then go to "Security" again.. Reactivate Android Device Manager, go to Google Play Store and enter your email and password.. Done!

P.S. Make sure to set Require Authentication for Purchases to "Never" in your play store settings.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I had the same problem.. what did the trick for me was going to my phone's "Settings", Apps, All, Google Play Store, Clear data.. Then I went to "Account & Sync", Google, Remove Account..

After doing everything(above).. I also went to "Security" (Setting--->General---->Security). Find "Phone Administrators" then click, "Android Device Manager"... Deactivate it!

Now, reboot your phone.. then go to "Security" again.. Reactivate Android Device Manager, go to Google Play Store and enter your email and password.. Done!

P.S. Make sure to set Require Authentication for Purchases to "Never" in your play store settings.

Thanks you MPDdvm for:
"Make sure to set Require Authentication for Purchases to "Never" in your play store settings."

Upvote 0

Please help!

Thanks,
C.

SOLUTION THAT WILL WORK FOR EVERYONE.

I recently bought Xiaomi Redmi 3 and I was facing the same problem. The ONLY thing you should do is to download the latest version of Google Play Services Apk and I strongly recommend you to visit the site androidapksfree and search for the latest verison. Hope this will work for you guys :)

Reactions: tube517
Upvote 0
SOLUTION THAT WILL WORK FOR EVERYONE.

I recently bought Xiaomi Redmi 3 and I was facing the same problem. The ONLY thing you should do is to download the latest version of Google Play Services Apk and I strongly recommend you to visit the site androidapksfree and search for the latest verison. Hope this will work for you guys :)

I had exactly the same problem with Redmi 3. I like to phone very much, this issue however starting to be irritating too much. THANX to Artemis Greece, It WORKED OUT FOR ME. You guys try too ;-)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones