• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Play Store Stuck

Jeemag

Lurker
Mar 23, 2018
Good Morning,

Unusual one: I am suffering from the Play Store Downloading-without-download/permanent Download-pending problem.

I have cleared out all the data items in Apps/PlayStore/Storage; in Show System/Download Manager and Framework Services followed by a restart. This achieves nothing.

However, if I activate my NordVPN app, any pending PlayStore operations complete. I don't run the NordVPN app, just activate it then close it. Weird !

Does this mean there's a problem with NordVPN, a problem with my account, or a problem with the tablet (an Asus Z100) ?

Regards
Cheemag

Good Morning,
Unusual one: I am suffering from the Play Store Downloading-without-download/permanent Download-pending problem.
I have cleared out all the data items in Apps/PlayStore/Storage; in Show System/Download Manager and Framework Services followed by a restart. This achieves nothing.
However, if I activate my NordVPN app, any pending PlayStore operations complete. I don't run the NordVPN app, just activate it then close it. Weird !
Does this mean there's a problem with NordVPN, a problem with my account, or a problem with the tablet (an Asus Z100) ?
Regards
Cheemag
Fource stop play store and wait for 10secs and release the fource stop any problem ask me

Upvote 0
If it works with NordVPN and not without it, what that tells me is that the phone is having a hard time either identifying itself to Google as far as location, or it can't locate the proper Google update server. Perhaps the NordVPN app changes your DNS settings on install and only connects when activated whether you are using VPN or not. :thinking:

Upvote 0
"FWIW Google sometimes gets a bit funny when using a VPN, it's probably the arbitrary IP addresses that VPNs give with possibly hundreds of users simultaneously coming through them. I'm always using a VPN, and Google will sometimes give CAPTCHAs when I try to search."

I'm not using a VPN only activating and de-activating the app without actually connecting via the VPN.

Regards
Cheemag

Upvote 0
"If it works with NordVPN and not without it, what that tells me is that the phone is having a hard time either identifying itself to Google as far as location, or it can't locate the proper Google update server. Perhaps the NordVPN app changes your DNS settings on install and only connects when activated whether you are using VPN or not"

It's a tablet. My phone works normally.

On the tablet Location is turned off permanently and every privacy setting screwed down tight to keep Google out of my life as far as reasonably possible.

Thing is I'm not USING NordVPN only switching the app on and off without connecting via the VPN. The connection is VPN-less so PlayStore gets my true IP.

This is rather an odd forum : I don't see my quotes - have to insert them ... !

Regards
Cheemag

#3 Yesterday at 4:11 PM New

Upvote 0
Let's get this clear, the NordVPN app is only blocking access when the VPN app is running, but isn't actually connected to the VPN server?

That might be intentional, my ExpressVPN can do a similar thing shown here:-
express.jpg

See if there's anything in the NordVPN settings about a "network lock" or "internet kill switch" or similar.

Of course in my location I can only use Google Play when my VPN is on and connected.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Let's get this clear, the NordVPN app is only blocking access when the VPN app is running, but isn't actually connected to the VPN server?

That is what I've said/been trying to say.

That might be intentional, my ExpressVPN can do a similar thing shown here:-
View attachment 130413

That setting doesn't exist in NordVPN-Android, although it does in the desktop version.

See if there's anything in the NordVPN settings about a "network lock" or "internet kill switch" or similar.

There isn't, no.

At the moment it's working except that I don't get PlayStore update notifications - I have to go and look for updates - not much of a problem.

Of course in my location I can only use Google Play when my VPN is on and connected.

Yes, OK. It's always puzzled me how the evil Google knows who I am with the VPN active - but apparently it's built into the PlayStore or something ...

I'll leave it at that, as I now know what the cause of the problem is.

Thanks to all who responded.

Regards

Cheemag

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
That is what I've said/been trying to say.

That setting doesn't exist in NordVPN-Android, although it does in the desktop version.

There isn't, no.

I actually posted the Apple macOS version of ExpressVPN to show what I meant, there isn't any "network lock" in the Android version of ExpressVPN at all, and so it doesn't block anything.

At the moment it's working except that I don't get PlayStore update notifications - I have to go and look for updates - not much of a problem.

Yes, OK. It's always puzzled me how the evil Google knows who I am with the VPN active - but apparently it's built into the PlayStore or something ...

I'm actually in China, so I have to use a VPN otherwise there's no Google anything for me. But on occasions Google search has given me CAPTCHAs, I think to ensure sure I'm a human and not a bot, possibly because of the arbitrary IP addresses the VPN gives.

Upvote 0
It's always puzzled me how the evil Google knows who I am with the VPN active - but apparently it's built into the PlayStore or something ...

I don't think they know who you are, but they do know who you're not. Based on your VPN or lack thereof. It's like the way a credit card company may decline a charge even if it's you making the purchase, because it's outside of your typical buying habits.

Upvote 0
I don't think they know who you are, but they do know who you're not. Based on your VPN or lack thereof. It's like the way a credit card company may decline a charge even if it's you making the purchase, because it's outside of your typical buying habits.

But you're not Chinese ... !

I've heard about having to use a VPN in China. It's getting like that here as well, GB is now very much a Stasi-style surveillance country..

Thanks for your help,

Cheemag

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones