1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

(Play Store) Swype w/ Android 4.3

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by UncleMike, Aug 7, 2013.

1. UncleMike

UncleMike Android Expert
    None

Nov 15, 2009
    Central NJ
    I'm having a problem with Swype since updating to Android 4.3. Sometimes when Swyping a word, the pervious word will be deleted and the new word will appear in some random spot, usually few lines below where it should have.

I tried switching to Kii and haven't had the problem since, but it hasn't been that long yet. Anyone else experiencing this?

Advertisement

2. tcat007

tcat007 Android Expert
    None

Jan 31, 2011
    Texas
    I'd been using Kii for a year, and just switched back to Swype because the Kii KB was getting cut off in Landscape. I figured out if I changed the Kii offset settings it fixed it, so I switched back to Kii. I like their prediction better and how they put a space between words in a URL box (where Swype seems to run them together).

3. bruce73

bruce73 Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 14, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Yes! I kept thinking why is this happening and what the hell am I doing to cause it. And swearing... a lot. It was happening so much on my N4 I went back to SKF (then remembered how infuriating its lack of useable predictions was). I'll have to give Kii another shot, but is it still being updated?

I still have Swype on my N10, because I really hate to give up the swype to capitalize gesture (as well as the other gestures). The tablet is still 4.2.2 and doesn't show this behavior. I'd just thought it was due to the larger keyboard, but maybe not.

4. UncleMike

UncleMike Android Expert
    None

Nov 15, 2009
    Central NJ
    This is the feature that makes me prefer Swype over Kii. While I wouldn't necessarily call prediction of swyped words a "feature", I find that Swype does a much better job of figuring out what I'm swyping than Kii does - if Kii's initial guess is wrong, more often than not ALL of the alternative guesses are wrong too.

Luckily I have paid versions of Swype, Kii and Swiftkey, so I can change at will and not lose features, though I can't imagine how bad things would have to be for me to go back to Swiftkey (I really can't stand 'next word' prediction).

5. bruce73

None

Feb 14, 2012
    Los Angeles
    I, too, have paid for all three. I'll get annoyed with one, then go to another, but I always seem to come back to Swype. Lately, though, I've been tapping on my phone with SwiftKey, and I find the next word prediction is of better use that way. Slower, but SwiftKey isn't so forgiving when you swipe on a smaller keyboard.

6. UncleMike

UncleMike Android Expert
    None

Nov 15, 2009
    Central NJ
    Here's s link to a thread on the subject at the Swype forums:

http://forum.swype.com/showthread.php?t=12257

Disable Smart Editor in the Swype settings and the problem we'll go away for now while they're working on a fix.

bruce73 likes this.
  7. bruce73

None

Feb 14, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Thanks. Something else. Have you noticed that, in the middle of a sentence, if you hit the capitalize button, the keyboard will change as expected to all caps, but then immediately go back to lowercase as you type the first letter?

8. UncleMike

UncleMike Android Expert
    None

Nov 15, 2009
    Central NJ
    I have noticed that. It's really annoying. Swype has some great features, but for all its maturity it seems to have bugs you would only expect to see in a beta.

[Edit]

Here's a discussion of this issue on the Swype forums:

http://forum.swype.com/showthread.p...t-after-Swyping-unless-you-tap-space-manually

To work around the issue, type a space before the first letter, then the SHIFT will stick for that letter.

bruce73 likes this.
  9. JacobSwype

JacobSwype Lurker
    None

Hey all,

Both bugs discussed here have been fixed in version 1.5.12! Compatibility issues with 4.3 and word display AND shift not working correctly on first use.

Please download the update available on the Google Play store.

Thanks!

UncleMike likes this.
  10. bruce73

None

Feb 14, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Already done, Jacob. Thanks!