• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Play Store

suobs

Feb 18, 2012
Periodically my LG Optimus V has lost the Google Play Store icon since I bought the phone a few years ago. Google help gives me some mysterious story about me needing to contact the phone manufacturer because Google controls what devices it can be installed on. Howver, then Play appears again out of nowhere. Play also not available for download on Google Play Store online from a computer. However, I have had Google Play on the phone - although this is increasingly like an episode of Twilight Zone. Now Android Market icon (former name of Google Play) has reappeared on the phone. Don't know what to do about that. Let it reinstall?

Now I'm trying to download an app (Citi Mobile) using Google Play from a computer to deliver/install on the phone but it's not working.

Google seems to do things without notice and it's almost never clear what they're doing.

What to do about this? Reinstall Android Market or what?

OK, I let Android Market reinstall and it upgraded to Play Store after a while.

When will Google get their act together? Why can't they even standardize the names of their products? When I look in applications, it's called "Google Play". When I look at my installed apps it's called "Play Store". When it needs to be upgraded it's called "Android Market".

Upvote 0
OK, I let Android Market reinstall and it upgraded to Play Store after a while.

When will Google get their act together? Why can't they even standardize the names of their products? When I look in applications, it's called "Google Play". When I look at my installed apps it's called "Play Store". When it needs to be upgraded it's called "Android Market".
Y'know, the icon disappears when it upgrades :D This is a problem I have never heard of, I usually sideload the Play Store anyway... Also, if you are rooted and have a custom recovery, why have you not installed a custom ROM like IHO? ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones