1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Playbook or iPad

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by pasqo83, Jan 4, 2012.

1. pasqo83

pasqo83 Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 26, 2011
    Im stuck between the 2 options.

Do I go for something that Apple has created, knowing that it will be slick and sleak and will just work and be simple OR do I go for blackberry Playbook, cheaper in price, works with the Android market (rooted).

I wouldn't say money is an issue but stuck on the 2.

What are your pro's and cons, which would you consider between the 2?

Advertisement

2. dansamy

dansamy Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 27, 2010
    You know that you have to install Android on the Playbook, right? It's not an Android device out of the box.

3. pasqo83

None

Dec 26, 2011
    Yep already know that.

4. SUroot

SUroot Android Expert
    None

May 25, 2010
    UK Technical Lead; Desktop Support
    Riddlesden, West Yorkshire, UK
    Is there a reason android tabs aren't an option?

5. pasqo83

None

Dec 26, 2011
    To be truthful, for the money I pay for an Android tablet, I rather get an iPad. A decent Android tablet I seen is the asus eee pad but that is

6. andruoid

andruoid Android Expert
    None

Jan 10, 2011
    Male
    BC, Canada
    I just went through a tablet ordeal. Long story short, 4 different android tabs and a playbook. The reason the playbook went back was they only connect at wifi G speeds (os limitation atm) and have some have random connectivity issues. The PB OS is fantastic as is the hardware. All the android tabs I tried had either OS and/or physical hardware issues. On a whole, imho, tablets just aren't there yet.

I picked up a HP DM1 instead which comes with an 11.6" LED, AMD E-450, 4GB RAM, 320GB 7200 RPM which costs the same as a Asus Transformer 32GB with keyboard dock ...and the DM1 will wipe the floor with it in every respect.

7. SUroot

SUroot Android Expert
    None

May 25, 2010
    UK Technical Lead; Desktop Support
    Riddlesden, West Yorkshire, UK
    No I wasn't suggesting one. Just assuming you have an android phone, you know how versatile it is over a blackberry or iPhone, why an android tab wouldn't be on your list.
    In regards to handsets, the blackberry bold touch with OS6 is really nice. Played with a few at work but I still couldn't have one over android. I'm too "involved".

My friend has a xoom running honeycomb and its really crisp

8. NYCHitman1

NYCHitman1 Gun for Hire
    None

Oct 16, 2009
    Male
    EUSA
    Long Island, NY
    I played with the VZW Moto Xoom in-store and I must say that I wasn't really impressed. It was more just some features that were lacking and the form factor, more than anything else though.

9. sethman88

sethman88 Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 1, 2011
    student
    Abingdon VA
    get an android if you can regardless, they are way better then both the playbook and a ipad, but if an android tablet is not an option then get a ipad, playbooks are horrible and mess up a lot as I've read about them lots of complaints about freezing, and plus blackberry is a horrible brand now,

10. pasqo83

None

Dec 26, 2011
    I need to read up more on the blackberry playbook, i saw the price, i've read alot of positive comments and played with it and really like them.

Ipad is Ipad, you know what to expect, but its the price thats making me think, should I really??

Android, never considered it to be truthful. Any suggestions on decent ones as there are soo many to chose from?

11. UssjTrunks

UssjTrunks Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 10, 2011
    This should help you out:

8 Things That Suck About the iPad

I'm sure the iPad 2 has improved on some of those issues, but most are still valid.

For me, I would never get an iPad for these reasons:

- No Flash, meaning no videos and other content. Why am I buying a device with such a large screen if I can't even view Flash video and other Flash content on it? I'm sorry, but you can't call it a multimedia device if it doesn't support Flash content.

- 4:3 aspect ratio. Seriously, it's 2011, not 1991. It's ridiculous that Apple can get away with this.

- Closed source. I hate anything closed source. You can't customize how your iPad looks and works. You have to do things the way Apple wants you to do them. You can't replace your battery. You can't use whatever cables you'd like to connect your device to your computer. You have to use iTunes to update it. Using an Apple product is a painful experience IMO.

12. pasqo83

None

Dec 26, 2011

Totally agree with alot of your thoughts here, but then if you want simplicity, then an Ipad 2 is a great tablet. Android I feel are for the more advanced people whereas the Ipad is for people who don't really want to customize it fully. Me personally I would just jailbreak it and don't waste my time updating.

Oh sorry, I was reffering to buying an Ipad 2 or Blackberry Playbook.

Again, because I haven't looked a lot into Android tablets as there are soo many on the market, can someone suggest a couple that pops up and competes or exceeds the likes of the playbook and Ipad 2?

13. AngelArs

AngelArs Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 24, 2011
    vB code analysis, Android / iOS Developer, CEO My
    ...and rightfully so :) However I wouldn't get either right now. There is a ton of new tablets that will use Android 4.0 being revealed at CES this month. Plus the iPad 3 will probably be released in a few months also. I wouldn't use the Blackberry as a door stop. It's not even close to being as nice as the iPad.

As far as the Flash goes you do NOT want any product that has it! The whole reason why the iPad doesn't have it is because it's OLD technology! If you were looking for a car you wouldn't consider a Model-T would you? HTML5 is the future and websites are already removing flash from their sites - and coding for HTML5. Even adobe has abandoned flash so that's your first real clue that it's going bye-bye. Do yourself a real BIG FAVOR and don't get sucked into the whole 'it's uses flash' marketing. It's already being phased out and going the way of the dinosaur ;)

Regarding closed source, there's a reason for that. Apple has always been about quality. That's why ALL of their computers work flawlessly. Open source on the other hand means that each company interprets things differently (IE - too many cooks in the kitchen) and that's when things don't work right. Using iOS via iTunes app store and there are a ton of apps that allow you to change how the iPad looks and works if you want. Plus the iPad has things like AirPlay which really make using a tablet a joy. iTunes works flawlessly and there is no reason to use anything else. The cables all come with the iPad but if you want extras then you can get them from many stores, and some like Monoprice has them very inexpensively (a buck or two). I had to buy an iPad 2 for work, and didn't think I would use it much, or like it that much. BOY was I wrong! It just always works perfectly and is a real joy to use. I will definitely be getting an iPad 3 when they are released, no matter what android tablet might come out. It is one of the best 'electronic toys' that I have ever used, and I have used a ton of them. Many stores like best buy have them out on display. Try one out but be forewarned, there is a reason why they are selling like hotcakes and are so addicting :)

14. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member
    None

Jun 10, 2010
    New Mexico, USA
    This is my fault, I apologize. I moved your post from the Lounge to the Android Lounge this morning.

It's now in our general tablet talk area. Hopefully you will get recommendations here. Meanwhile, parallel to this are subforums for a great many Android tablets. You might wish to navigate over and check out brands, models and user comments on some of those.

The popular ones are the Xoom, Galaxy Tab, ASUS, Archos and others. Here you'll find forums for tablets ranging from high quality to shall we say, otherwise.

I am not sure how philosophical discussions are answering your basic questions. If it gets out of hand, please click on my name and send me a private message.

Hope this helps! :)

15. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sep 22, 2010
    Teachaaa
    Jinan, China
    I think that might have been much more true in the early days of the iPad. These devices are so popular now that most of the major online video sites will either have a dedicated free app for iOS devices, or the sites will work anyway, because they know one is using an iOS device and will stream the content in an appropriate format. Sites like Youtube, BBC iPlayer, Netflix, Hulu, Tudou, Youku, etc. all work just fine with an iPad.

What's the other primary user of Flash on websites? ... advertising!! I can quite happily live without that. In fact I have Flash turned off on my Android device and only enable it when required, which is actually quite rarely. The other major thing possibly is Flash games, TBH most of these where NOT designed to be played on a touch-screen device anyway.

Anyway Adobe is discontinuing any more mobile Flash development, so its days are already numbered.

Would be useful if one is watching movies, not so much otherwise. I think a few Android devices are 4:3 as well. Make it 16:9 and one will probably end up with a larger device.

They would suit my mom or sister though, they're not geeks. For them I think iOS devices should work just fine out of the box. Also as long as the battery lasts 2-3 years it should be OK, might be looking to upgrade the device by then.

16. al2fast

al2fast Member
    None

Dec 11, 2010
    Appleton, WI
    I don't know about that. I don't own an ipad but my buddy was trying to show me some stuff on different websites and after the 3rd attempt he went and got his laptop so he could show me after page after page on his ipad were not displaying, it is an ipad1 if that matters. I understand that HTML5 is the future, but realistically it will take years for HTML5 to completely overtake flash. Flash is here today and I want to surf the flash internet today, thats just my opinion. Businesses simply don't spend money to upgrade to the newest thing if they aren't going to make any money on that investment.

I would like to try Apple, but I'm too happy with my android devices and I just cannot part with that much money when I have not been impressed with the idevices and pc's I've used. I could not go without the usb port on my a500 now that I've used a tab with one, offers me a ton of flexibility to use at work and makes file transfers so painless!

Important thing is that there are choices that meet all of our needs. Good luck with your choice and have fun with what you get!

mikedt likes this.
  17. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sep 22, 2010
    Teachaaa
    Jinan, China
    iPad 2 doesn't have Flash either. I think this is down to bad website design these days and out-of-touch web designers, to make it a requirement that one must have Flash just to view and navigate them. A few luxury product websites can be notorious for the. It's not just the iPad, many Android tablets don't have Flash either, especially the China pads. Our school computers don't have Flash either, although I think this is deliberate to try and stop the students wasting time playing online games.

Maybe they should invest and very soon, could be driving potential customers, ad-revenue and sales away. Especially in Asia, where tablets are now a very popular way to browse the interwebs. In Hong Kong I'm sure more people are using iPads and Android tablets than laptops for their surfing now, from what I seen there last summer.

Agreed. :)

al2fast likes this.
  18. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!

Jan 3, 2011
    Scotland

pasqo83 likes this.
  19. pasqo83

None

Dec 26, 2011
    Thanks, at the moment, im just going to chill out and read up all the reviews and make a decision, I want this tablet to become my PC around the house and everything else (such as a laptop) will become the working computer (office, word, designing, web-design) only.

Following onto the tablets, I have a few external hard drives, if I want to be able to share those hard drives, can I connect that to my wireless and get them sharing that way as apposed to having a PC turned on to discover the netwrok?

20. AngelArs

None

Apr 24, 2011
    It's just the opposite. Bad website design incorporates old technology - which is flash. Web designers use the tools at hand and flash, as bad and old as it is, is redily available for them to use. Some web designers haven't brushed up on using the new code for HTML5 so they are in a rut. This is changing though. On web designer forums you are laughed at if you mention using flash the same as you would be laughed at if you were at a home theater website talking about black and white TV. Change takes time but it will happen. This year expect to see a lot less of flash - and a lot more of HTML5. Of course you won't notice anything as the process is more seamless with HTML5, but that's a good thing :)

That's how I use my iPad. There's a great app for it called Tapatalk which allows me to track all of my posts and threads in various forums. This forum uses the plugin, so when someone responds to a post/thread here it automatically shows up on my iPad, where I can respond to it if needed. E-Mail and web all work the same way. I can even log into my main computer and access any file on it, change it, copy it, transfer it to the iPad, etc. It has truly streamlined my work process and makes everything more enjoyable. Good luck with whatever device you decide to use :)

21. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants
    None

Dec 2, 2009
    Network Admin
    Chicago

I just need to correct you on something. A web dev is nowhere near out of touch because of not using HTML5 in its infancy instead of flash.HTML5 is still constantly changing and will remain in flux for the next decade. Flash is still the ONLY multi platform solution that you only need one server side file in order to deliver content. Secondly, HTML5 is nowhere near the level of programming capability and complexity that flash has to offer, and it probably never will. HTML5 may take over video, but thats not even a given. If the H.264 coalition starts charging royalties to produce/use H.264 formats (its currently at no cost -- dont confuse that with free) we'd see 1999 all over again. Thats the reason flash took over in the first place. It wasnt that there werent a plethora of options to choose from, it was that there were many different codecs and different browser vendors only supported a handful of each.

So in order to get a video feed to the client web devs had to store 3 (or more) different copies of the SAME video in different codecs to appease all the browser vendors.

Now enter flash. One player to rule the all. The same file can now be used cross browser, cross platform, and it'll work the same on all those machines. And thats when flash exploded.

Lets fast forward to today. Say flash does die and adobe doesnt replace it with something newer and more efficient. We're finally all moving to HTML5 for video yay! Right?

Wrong. If the H.264 patent holders suddenly decide they want some profit(and they will, history proves this) from their "hard work" and they now have cornered the market since flash is gone,(which is why Google is pushing WebM open source and all the rights holders to H.264 are scrambling to keep it locked away in litigation) browser vendors, web hosts, everyone who foolishly relied on this for profit standard will suddenly have to pay royalties in order to show video on thier site.

Welcome back 1999, becuase unfortunetly, most browser vendors dont have that kind of money to pay those royalties, and niether do alot of developers.

Please, be careful what you wish for. Secondly, make sure you understand what youre wishing for.

Now OP. Between playbook and iPad its a no brainer. iPad wins hands down. The PB is crap. I was very dissappointed when i gave it a test spin.

Although my asus transformer has done nothing but been great to me and has boosted productivity immensely.

mikedt likes this.
  22. AngelArs

None

Apr 24, 2011
    See this is the problem with statements like this. People get out their crystal balls (or in some cases Magic 8 balls) and try to predict the future. Problem is you can

23. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants
    None

Dec 2, 2009
    Network Admin
    Chicago

Apples reason to start away from flash has more to do with politics than the technology involved. Secondly, I already mentioned web m. If ogg really took off you can bet the h.264 coalition will tie that up in litigation as well. The more open standards the better but free and open often loses to rich and powerful.

Why use flash? Simple. It does much more than video playback.

it's by no means the most efficient form of video playback but that's far from flashes strongest point. Flash and html5 powered video will live side by side for a long time tocome.

have you ever programmed in advanced flash? Have you ever programmed at all?

24. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!

Jan 3, 2011
    Scotland
    Yeah, I think ES File Explorer has that function, it will see files on your network shares.

25. AngelArs

None

Apr 24, 2011
    No it's not all technology driven. They want to keep things like iTunes healthy, and who can blame them. After all, it's their cash cow, but flash was doomed from the beginning because of how it needs mouse intervention, and I don't know of a phone around that uses a mouse :p Adobe tried to fix flash for mobile devices. Adobe failed. Adobe was smart in giving up on flash and now it's time to move forward so that mobile devices can shoot for the stars. Back when flash got its start people were still watching Braveheart. Even though Adobe inherited flash, no one knows what flash can, and cannot do better than Adobe, and here is what they say on the topic; "On mobile devices HTML5 provides a similar level of ubiquity that the Flash Player provides on the desktop. It is the best technology for creating and deploying rich content to the browser across mobile platforms," Linky ;)

Yadda yadda yadda... No one is worried about the MPEG-LA. They have to watch their step as the United States Department of Justice has already started an investigation into their role of possibly attempting to stifle competition. Another linky :D