• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Playbook or iPad

This should help you out:

8 Things That Suck About the iPad

I'm sure the iPad 2 has improved on some of those issues, but most are still valid.

For me, I would never get an iPad for these reasons:

- No Flash, meaning no videos and other content. Why am I buying a device with such a large screen if I can't even view Flash video and other Flash content on it? I'm sorry, but you can't call it a multimedia device if it doesn't support Flash content.

- 4:3 aspect ratio. Seriously, it's 2011, not 1991. It's ridiculous that Apple can get away with this.

- Closed source. I hate anything closed source. You can't customize how your iPad looks and works. You have to do things the way Apple wants you to do them. You can't replace your battery. You can't use whatever cables you'd like to connect your device to your computer. You have to use iTunes to update it. Using an Apple product is a painful experience IMO.

Be aware that Adobe is no longer actively developing Flash for tablets. And HTML 5 is gaining speed, so the debate will be finally done with, thank God.

I can customize my iPad. Simply Jailbreak and there is nothing I cannot do. I can even run Frash. You do not need iTunes. I think MTBF of the iPad battery is a couple of years, so that is not a serious issue.

Upvote 0
No it's not all technology driven. They want to keep things like iTunes healthy, and who can blame them. After all, it's their cash cow, but flash was doomed from the beginning because of how it needs mouse intervention, and I don't know of a phone around that uses a mouse :p Adobe tried to fix flash for mobile devices. Adobe failed. Adobe was smart in giving up on flash and now it's time to move forward so that mobile devices can shoot for the stars. Back when flash got its start people were still watching Braveheart. Even though Adobe inherited flash, no one knows what flash can, and cannot do better than Adobe, and here is what they say on the topic; "On mobile devices HTML5 provides a similar level of ubiquity that the Flash Player provides on the desktop. It is the best technology for creating and deploying rich content to the browser across mobile platforms," Linky ;)

Yadda yadda yadda... No one is worried about the MPEG-LA. They have to watch their step as the United States Department of Justice has already started an investigation into their role of possibly attempting to stifle competition. Another linky :D

Lets get something clear, Adobe hasnt abondoned Flash.. just no more updates for mobile devices. It's desktop presence will still be around strong as ever. Also, Flash is quickly becoming a powerful publishing tools for cross-browser cross-platform media using other solutions such as HTML5.

If you read my post history it's clear I'm a fan of free and open versus paid and proprietary. It's why I use Linux. It's why I use Android.

However I know from experience and history how often Open Source and "free to use" lose against big money. It's all politics, and when politics is involved with technology the best solution doesn't always win, and in fact, it is more often that it doesn't.

US investigations? Please. This is the same US government thats censoring the internet in the name of "piracy", the same US government who thought an IP Address meant Intellectual Property Address, and the same goverment who grants patent after patent of basic things like shapes and how much bezel is used.

No... dont expect the US gov to come to the rescue. As much as I love my country my faith in it's regulatory bodies is dwindling each and every day.

Upvote 0
Adobe hasnt abondoned Flash.. just no more updates for mobile devices. It's desktop presence will still be around strong as ever.
Don't know of any desktops that run on batteries...

Hopefully that was made clear with statements like;

which means that mobile devices get their batteries drained with flash quicker than you can say Android.

Flash will eat your battery for lunch, and sadly for many mobile devices that’s no exaggeration.

However I know from experience and history how often Open Source and "free to use" lose against big money. It's all politics, and when politics is involved with technology the best solution doesn't always win, and in fact, it is more often that it doesn't.
I hear you (and I understand) but on this topic the future hasn't been written yet.

the same US government who thought an IP Address meant Intellectual Property Address, and the same goverment who grants patent after patent of basic things like shapes and how much bezel is used.
And the same government that will keep MPEG-LA in check. I'm not worried about MPEG-LA. At this point they would be shooting themselves in the foot to charge for H264 :)

As much as I love my country my faith in it's regulatory bodies is dwindling each and every day.
I agree, especially when it come to lobbyist. Worst thing to ever happen to this country. Well that and Spam.

Upvote 0
Don't know of any desktops that run on batteries...

Hopefully that was made clear with statements like;

I hear you (and I understand) but on this topic the future hasn't been written yet.

And the same government that will keep MPEG-LA in check. I'm not worried about MPEG-LA. At this point they would be shooting themselves in the foot to charge for H264 :)

I agree, especially when it come to lobbyist. Worst thing to ever happen to this country. Well that and Spam.

I'm not trying to predict the future. I'm using common sense and what's called an educated guess.

Upvote 0
  1. Desktops that run on batteries are called laptops.
  2. Tapatalk is available for Android.
  3. The underpinnings of the Apple desktop OS are open source.
  4. Ogg Theora is open source.
  5. Open source adds up to higher quality not less.
  6. H.264 is part of an standard. It will continue to dominate for the foreseeable future.

The iPad is a very good product, but it is not the only product.

The page long off-topic rants lecturing the rest of us on programming in an effort to defend Apple are at an end in this thread.

The OP has announced that they have sufficient information to consider and proceed.

Further Apple debate is not necessary and will be deleted.

If you want to debate web standards, please try the Lounge.

Reactions: El Presidente
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones