• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Played with MDT for 1/2 hour ....impressions/Questions

Bearcats

Android Enthusiast
Oct 19, 2012
USA
Went to Verizon strictly to play (much to their chagrin). Some of my observations. I am measuring my observation against my Droid DNA (HTC) owned for two years which is old and not overly speedy (part of my desire to spend some of my money on something quicker and more responsive).

One thing of note is I flat out just don't care about SD storage. I plan to get the 64GB if I get it and it has mountable USB storage. So its just not a topic I wish to address. If you need SD storage this phone isn't for you. I don't need it.

1) Screen was at max bright and seemed ok. It just didn't blow me away. However my DNA screen isn't anything to write home about either. So maybe a wash? However compared to my DNA on full bright it seemed dim. I moved the MDT to 1/2 bright like I use on my DNA daily and it was pretty dim for sure. I use my phone mostly indoors but it kinda nags at me that unless its full bright it looks murky.

2) Love how the ballistic feels. MCF is nice and I like the red for sure but the ballistic is pretty neat. So that soothes my worries about that. Plus the demo model didnt have the Big Red Log emblazoned everywhere on it. A plus for sure. Overall the phone had a nice balance to me. I don't have huge hands either.

3) Weight? What weight? My calibrated ham hock hands couldn't distinguish the difference. Absolutely no issue for me at all.

4) I guess because its close to Android stock (versus a brand overlay like Sense or TouchWiz) but I don't like the layout of the home screens and the Google bar at the top of all screens. It would not allow me to remove it (Google bar) either. Huge turn off to me. Nice to be able to remove all the tacky "title" bars on the screens.

5) Didn't like the stock calendar, which is important to me as this is synced up with my work calander. I have been on HTC for four years. Maybe I missed a setting but didn't see an easy way to have a "widget" on a screen that shows the whole month at a glance. Hoping its just my unfamiliarity with the more direct non-"sensed" version of the OS. It does have the nifty "vertical" calender which I use as well.

6) Couldn't test it but I have heard radios in Motorola products are about the best. My HTC has been very reliable in podunk nowhere and that's kinda why the Sammy's have been dropped as consideration as I travel a lot for work to paper mills and I have to be able to have coverage and signal processing in the very very fringe areas of coverage.

These are just observations and I hope others chime in with plus and minus' they note. I am also looking for items that will overlook some of these observations. I kind of want this to be an open discussion about the features to try and help me decide as which ever phone I buy Ill keep for two years plus.

So helpful comment and observations are definitely appreciated.

EDIT: Questions I am looking for answers to as I play with my current phone.

1) Missed/Declined calls, is there an option to send Text message whether it be free form or from a box stock message? When on a call if work calls I like to at least acknowledge I got their call.

2) Can you attach custom ring tones to individual contacts? I have a bunch of different ring tones for my contacts that allows me to know who is calling without even looking at anything.

3) On the HTC phone I can turn it face down to quiet and ignore a call. I think Moto has a gesture that allows that; is that true?

4) I am assuming no notification light as you can set up a gesture to update you quickly if there is a notification that you might have missed?

5) Can you set up separate notification sounds for email, text messages, calendar reminders...etc? Can you use custom ones? I have my kids saying "Text dadda" or "Emails here Dad". I'd like to keep those.

I just bought one after the nexus 6 preorder fiasco. My RAZR maxx was tempting me to crush it with as much hate as possible.

Got the 64gb model. Little disappointed with no SD but I'll live. It did take nearly 2 years to fill the 32 on my razr.

There is no Verizon anywhere on the retail phone either. Only word on it is the little droid badge on the back.

Upvote 0
Nice post.

4) I guess because its close to Android stock (versus a brand overlay like Sense or TouchWiz) but I don't like the layout of the home screens and the Google bar at the top of all screens. It would not allow me to remove it (Google bar) either. Huge turn off to me. Nice to be able to remove all the tacky "title" bars on the screens.

There are plenty of great third party launcher (like Nova Launcher) that allow you to remove the google launch bar. Personally, I prefer the search bar (I use it all of the time), but you can easily remove it.

5) Didn't like the stock calendar, which is important to me as this is synced up with my work calander. I have been on HTC for four years. Maybe I missed a setting but didn't see an easy way to have a "widget" on a screen that shows the whole month at a glance. Hoping its just my unfamiliarity with the more direct non-"sensed" version of the OS. It does have the nifty "vertical" calender which I use as well.

There is a great calendar app called Sunrise that I've been using for a few months. The widget isn't what you want, but I know that there are third party apps that have month widgets tied to your calendar storage. I don't use them, or should say I haven't used one in years, but I'm sure that others can suggest some.

Reactions: Bearcats
Upvote 0
1) Missed/Declined calls, is there an option to send Text message whether it be free form or from a box stock message? When on a call if work calls I like to at least acknowledge I got their call.

In the dialer, overflow menu, settings, quick responses. I'm not sure if that works when you miss a call, but when you decline it gives you an option to send a text response.

2) Can you attach custom ring tones to individual contacts? I have a bunch of different ring tones for my contacts that allows me to know who is calling without even looking at anything.

In the People app, open a contact, overflow menu, set ringtone.

4) I am assuming no notification light as you can set up a gesture to update you quickly if there is a notification that you might have missed?

There is a feature called Moto Display which replaces the LED notification light. The phone "breathes" (the display comes on) with a clock and icons that represent any apps that have displayed notifications since the last time you turned on the display. If you see a lock icon, there have been no missed notifications. You can also set which apps can display notifications there - I have done that because I have a few apps that are unimportant and it won't matter if I see them later. I just want phone calls, texts, and Gmail to show up there.

5) Can you set up separate notification sounds for email, text messages, calendar reminders...etc? Can you use custom ones? I have my kids saying "Text dadda" or "Emails here Dad". I'd like to keep those.

The calendar app sets notifications itself. It only uses one notification for any event - you can't open an event and set a separate tone just for that event. There may be third party apps that can do that.

Text messages - both the Messaging app and Hangouts are installed stock and you can set notifications for the app, but not per contact. However, there are great third party messaging apps (like Handcent) that allow per contact notification tones.

You can use custom ones, yes. If you create a folder called "Notifications" anywhere in storage, any supported sound files (MP3, MP4, Ogg Vorbis, etc.) will be added to the notification picker. This is all stock android stuff. Many people use an app called RingDroid to make this easier.

Reactions: Bearcats
Upvote 0
Fantastic information! Thank you very much! Hoping to have some time to myself this weekend to go back after all of these questions and play some more.

I am hoping, if all goes well and this looks to be the phone to buy, I can get $100 for my old original Droid Incredible. It has been my backup and still holds a charge (with no cell connection, just wireless) for a little over day.

Plus I have read they are also waving upgrade fees if you purchase a MDT.

Upvote 0
Has anybody compared the turbo screen to the note 4? The screen is the biggest drawback of my g3, and it looks pathetic next to the n4 (and note 3 for that matter.) I don't expect the turbo screen to be as good as the note, but hopefully the difference isn't night and day.

There is a large difference. But the Note 4 isnt the same type of phone as the MDT. The S5 is the league of fair comparison for the MDT.

Upvote 0
I'm loving the phone so far. I was quite happy with my Droid Maxx until it me it's unfortunate early demise. So far the battery life is just as amazing, if not better, as my Maxx. (Unlike others, I never had a problem with battery life after I did an FDR after the Kitkat update).

Loving the camera on this phone! Also, I'm trying out verizon's new (new to me anyway) message +. I was using hangouts but I'm giving this a try. Speaking of Verizon, I continue to be impressed that between them and Moto there is little bloatware on the phone. Unlike a samsung which is riddled with stuff I don't need; all I really have is some NFL thing that I'll never open. If it was MLB that'd be a different story!

So far I'm quite happy with it and hope it'll last me a bit longer than my Maxx (about a year before I busted it on pavement).

Upvote 0
Similar situation here. The power button quit working on my Maxx about 4 months ago. I picked up a Moto X with Edge account to get by until Turbo release.

It's good to be back in a flagship Droid phone. Less than 24 hours in I really like this phone. Battery life looks good so far. With other Droids I've noticed it can take a few days from setting up apps and charge cycles before it settles down and you see the true battery life.

Upvote 0
Message+ is new to me as well. I haven't tried it yet. What are the differences you see between plus and the original message app?

Different look, more options to change the look (colors). More "bells and whistles" in terms of emoji's. There is a feature to take or add a picture right from the send line and to sketch on the picture without leaving messages. There is a feature called 'Gympse' which is super cool if I was a young person (!) where you can send your location to a group of friends who can then find you. (similar to the "check in" feature that facebook had). There is a "postcard" feature to send a postcard text message. And, as with Hangouts, you can switch to dial if you get bored of texting. No video chat though.

So far, I'm liking it.

Upvote 0
Say, here's something new I've encountered. When I place a call, or, when I get an incoming call, just before the outgoing or incoming ring I get a woman's voice saying "Verizon Wireless". That's weird. When did this start? And, more importantly, how do I make it go away?

Upvote 0
Say, here's something new I've encountered. When I place a call, or, when I get an incoming call, just before the outgoing or incoming ring I get a woman's voice saying "Verizon Wireless". That's weird. When did this start? And, more importantly, how do I make it go away?

Not sure about the Turbo, but open the dialer. Tap the overflow menu, settings, Caller ID readout. Is it set to "Caller ID, then ring"?

If not that, go back home. Settings, accessibility. Do you have Talkback turned on?

Upvote 0
I think the setting you're looking for is "Roaming Tone" in Settings -> Sound.

Reactions: doogald
Upvote 0
Message+ is the VZW app that you can sync with your phone and tablet right?

I have used it then uninstalled it then used it a second time, now it is uninstalled. I found that some of the updates would cause a major battery drain on my phone..

just something to keep in mind, I just switched to hangouts on my MAXX and will continue when I get my Turbo set up..

Reactions: LizMac
Upvote 0
Message+ is the VZW app that you can sync with your phone and tablet right?

I have used it then uninstalled it then used it a second time, now it is uninstalled. I found that some of the updates would cause a major battery drain on my phone..

just something to keep in mind, I just switched to hangouts on my MAXX and will continue when I get my Turbo set up..
Thanks, I'll keep my eye on this. I've got no problem switching back to Hangouts. It's a good app; I just thought I'd give message + a try. I do like the postcard feature. :p

Upvote 0
Has anybody compared the turbo screen to the note 4? The screen is the biggest drawback of my g3, and it looks pathetic next to the n4 (and note 3 for that matter.) I don't expect the turbo screen to be as good as the note, but hopefully the difference isn't night and day.
Quick display comparison Droid Turbo v Note 4.

Brightness seems close, with a slight edge to the Note. I think Phone Arena's review measurement on the Droid is inaccurate. Color balance and calibration, the Note is correct system-wide, while the Droid is correct only in Chrome and otherwise way oversaturated. UI, the Droid definitely has the edge; your fingers slide more easily over the glass, the trace typing is more accurate and better able to handle user inaccuracies, the size is better for quick use.

Upvote 0
I compared my Turbo's display side-by-side with a Note 4 and an S5 at a Verizon store today. I used Chrome to look at the phoneArena web page. All were set to full blast brightness. The white color of the pages' background are not as bright for the Turbo. The white is more gray where as the S5 and Note 4 are bright white. The S5 and Note 4 were tied down so I couldn't take them outside to compare. I found that the Turbo is hard to see if the sun is shining directly on the screen but if you can rotate 180 deg and if you cast a shadow then the screen is very readable.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones