• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Played with the X this afternoon...

Having a signed bootloader means absolutely nothing. The developers over at XDA find ways to root phones. Sure it may take some time, but they always get it done.

Really? It's been 7 months for the Moto Milestone and still nothing complete on the bootloader front. Just how long do you want to wait?????

I also believe that the digital encryption that Moto is starting to use is virtually impossible to crack. The only option is to find a weakness to go around the bootloader and basically not use it. At least on the Droid they didn't require that the bootloader only run digitally signed ROMs. With the Milestone and newer phones, Moto has built the bootloader in such a way that it will not run ROMs unless they have this digital signature.

This digital encryption is much stronger than the average "locked" bootloader that other manufactures have been using. So there is a BIG difference.

I was really excited about the Droid X, but after learning more about the Moto encryption, I am not going to rush out and buy it. I'll either wait for it to be hacked, or more likely will be buying one of the "newer releases" later this year - whichever has been cracked/announced first.

Upvote 0
So no good news yet. I went down to the owners house on Sunday and ft to mess around for about a hour. Without some type of rootaccess or at least a piece of firmware for the X I couldn't try anything. The phone is a review model which he must return to Verizon on July 12th so I had to be careful.

As far as Motorola locking everything down I'm pretty sure they are using M M-Flash or something like that which is nearly impossible to crack without extremely low level hardware communication. Besides TI and some top tier Motorola engineers I don't know anyone who would have this type of software. RSD is our only hope and we will also need a SBF monster file.

Reactions: Gamble
Upvote 0
So no good news yet. I went down to the owners house on Sunday and ft to mess around for about a hour. Without some type of rootaccess or at least a piece of firmware for the X I couldn't try anything. The phone is a review model which he must return to Verizon on July 12th so I had to be careful.

As far as Motorola locking everything down I'm pretty sure they are using M M-Flash or something like that which is nearly impossible to crack without extremely low level hardware communication. Besides TI and some top tier Motorola engineers I don't know anyone who would have this type of software. RSD is our only hope and we will also need a SBF monster file.

Ouch. At least there is a small glimmer of hope.. Thanks for the update!

Upvote 0

uuuummmm yikes.... I don't understand much of anything you just said, but I am getting the distinct feeling that you're saying that the DX is going to be next to impossible to root.... If I'm misinterpreting what you said, please please pleeeeaaase correct me, b/c this is literally the 1st thing I've heard that has made me think twice about getting the DX.... :(

Upvote 0
uuuummmm yikes.... I don't understand much of anything you just said, but I am getting the distinct feeling that you're saying that the DX is going to be next to impossible to root.... If I'm misinterpreting what you said, please please pleeeeaaase correct me, b/c this is literally the 1st thing I've heard that has made me think twice about getting the DX.... :(

It's not root that I worry about us getting. The Milestone was rooted the same way as our Droid was but it won't allow us to flash any ROM's and whatnot.

I've seen on video, and read in comments, that the Droid X does not reformat text after zoom. Is there any validation about this? Could it be fixed in an OTA update? It's a deal breaker for me, which is unfortunate, because I love everything else I see.

It looked just as smooth as my Evo to be honest. I know VZW released a OTA a day or 2 after he got the phone so maybe that fixed it? I'll look into it and get back to you.

Upvote 0
It's not root that I worry about us getting. The Milestone was rooted the same way as our Droid was but it won't allow us to flash any ROM's and whatnot.

FML. That's really what I was afraid of. So basically we can abandon all hope of custom roms on this beast if we find out that the boot loader is encrypted like the Milestone's?
*prepares to swear and cry at the same time*....

Upvote 0
@ CRPercodani and other people who know way more than me.

I just opened a new thread to discuss the topic of the encrypted/locked bootloader and its potential implications. Perhaps you can help shed some more light on the situation there where more people concerned with this topic are likely to see it.

http://androidforums.com/motorola-d...ootloader-flashing-roms-abandon-all-hope.html

Thanks for all the info you've already provided.

Upvote 0
We would need a custom recovery or bootloader in the SBF file. Having su in it just gives us root aka superuser permissions.

I have heard that there is an sbf that doesnt have the locked down bootloader. If thats true its going to be a little scary to root the phone since you will have to flash the bootloader but hey at least its possible.

Upvote 0
I have heard that there is an sbf that doesnt have the locked down bootloader. If thats true its going to be a little scary to root the phone since you will have to flash the bootloader but hey at least its possible.

Yea if we had some sort of engineering bl then that would do the trick. 20 bucks to whoever dares to flash it first.

Upvote 0
FML. That's really what I was afraid of. So basically we can abandon all hope of custom roms on this beast if we find out that the boot loader is encrypted like the Milestone's?
*prepares to swear and cry at the same time*....

At what point in time Does everyone feel.....that we will get an answer if the bootloader on the Droid X is gonna be Encrypted or not?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones