• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help players won't find music on sd card

I have S4 and same SD card as above. Exact same issue. Can not get Samsung music player to see it or import library. I can use MyFiles and select a file and play it even, just not through Samsung app. I even set the default path to my SD card and music folder. It does not see it. I have reboot the phone and used Rescan SD app too. I have mounted and unmounted. No problems, just won't be picked up by Samsung music.

If I copy the files from the SD card to the Music folder on built-in device storage, they pop up just fine.

Bug????

Upvote 0
The .nomedia file makes it so the pictures are not indexed and added to the gallery, it does not affect the scan of the mp3s themselves. They should be being added to the index of available music which is what the players look at to find music.

First restart your phone to force an index and see what shows up if you have not already done it. I know it sounds obvious but make sure the music is in a format that the player can read. It does all the usual stuff like aac, mp3 and so on but if you've gone into one of the more unusual lossless formats or whatever you have to get a player that can play that format. Related, make sure that you have not imported your music to your phone in a play list format that the player cannot play. Both of these get people all the time.

If you have already restarted and the files can be played by the player and are not in an unrecognizeable play list then the next step is to go into your settings/applications/ find the player and delete its cache and data. Force stop it and then restart your phone. Startup will take slightly longer than usual but thats normal. This will not delete your music. If that doesn't work let us know.

Reactions: strikewun
Upvote 0
The .nomedia file makes it so the pictures are not indexed and added to the gallery, it does not affect the scan of the mp3s themselves. They should be being added to the index of available music which is what the players look at to find music.

First restart your phone to force an index and see what shows up if you have not already done it. I know it sounds obvious but make sure the music is in a format that the player can read. It does all the usual stuff like aac, mp3 and so on but if you've gone into one of the more unusual lossless formats or whatever you have to get a player that can play that format. Related, make sure that you have not imported your music to your phone in a play list format that the player cannot play. Both of these get people all the time.

If you have already restarted and the files can be played by the player and are not in an unrecognizeable play list then the next step is to go into your settings/applications/ find the player and delete its cache and data. Force stop it and then restart your phone. Startup will take slightly longer than usual but thats normal. This will not delete your music. If that doesn't work let us know.

I have tried everything you said but still the same problem, the players cant detect my songs which stored in sd card

Upvote 0
With the stock player it wont find music on my SD unless I put it in a folder called Music on the root of the SD. then it finds it fine.

This is the answer. Create a folder on the root of your SD card called "Music" and put all your music in there. Also create folders for "Movies", "Pictures", and "Ringtones" if they are not there already. Make sure folders are spelled exactly as I wrote. Then your phone will also recognize your movies, pics, and ringtones that you store on your SD card.

Upvote 0
This is the answer. Create a folder on the root of your SD card called "Music" and put all your music in there. Also create folders for "Movies", "Pictures", and "Ringtones" if they are not there already. Make sure folders are spelled exactly as I wrote. Then your phone will also recognize your movies, pics, and ringtones that you store on your SD card.
This may be an answer but it's not the answer.

I have my music in a folder called syncr (put there by iSyncr) on my external SD card but all my music players find my music no problem.

Upvote 0
Don't know if this issue has been resolved or not but I was having the same problem and solved it

I found this thread by way of Google, so hopefully I can help someone that was having the same problem as me

Since I'm new, I can't post any screenshots or links, so I'll try to be descriptive, but its kinda the same method from crabman post

Samsung Galaxy s3 T-Mobile

So, this is how I came about the problem. I downloaded a playlist backup app that also make a .nomedia file along with a playlist backup in whatever folder its in. I wanted my playlist backed up on the root of my external SD card, but I didn't know nothing of the .nomedia file at the time.

The app put a .nomedia file on the root of my extSD card :(

Don't bother trying to find the file with the stock file browser because its hidden. You'll need something like Root Explorer to find it.

These are the steps I took

>Using Root Explorer, find the .nomedia file on the root of your extSDCard and delete it

>Go to your settings and open up the application manager.
>>>Force Stop and Clear Data from two apps, Music Hub and Music Player

>Unmount and Mount your extSdCard

>Restart your phone

Oh, I also pulled the SDCard, but I don't think it was necessary. I hope this helps someone out that was having the same problem as me.

Upvote 0
I have a Sony Experia Tipo and the standard Music player that came with it just suddenly lost sight of the music I had installed on the ext_SD card using Sony PC Companion.

Turning the phone off and on again restored it.

PS : don't mix Sony PC Companion with ITunes. It seems to modify itunes library files and I had to rescan folders and rebuild itunes and back-import ratings from ipad after one use of this.

Upvote 0
Hi.

This exact thing happened to me too.

Apparently if ur not using a USB connection and just using the SD card directly, u have to format it and add everything back in a separate folder "i named it as MicroSD2013" and then using My Files once the sd card is mounted, to move ur files back up to the externalsd folder; in which enables the scanner to read the files quickly. My pictures were returned back to the gallery after i had done this.

Upvote 0
Don't know if this issue has been resolved or not but I was having the same problem and solved it

I found this thread by way of Google, so hopefully I can help someone that was having the same problem as me

Since I'm new, I can't post any screenshots or links, so I'll try to be descriptive, but its kinda the same method from crabman post

Samsung Galaxy s3 T-Mobile

So, this is how I came about the problem. I downloaded a playlist backup app that also make a .nomedia file along with a playlist backup in whatever folder its in. I wanted my playlist backed up on the root of my external SD card, but I didn't know nothing of the .nomedia file at the time.

The app put a .nomedia file on the root of my extSD card :(

Don't bother trying to find the file with the stock file browser because its hidden. You'll need something like Root Explorer to find it.

These are the steps I took

>Using Root Explorer, find the .nomedia file on the root of your extSDCard and delete it

>Go to your settings and open up the application manager.
>>>Force Stop and Clear Data from two apps, Music Hub and Music Player

>Unmount and Mount your extSdCard

>Restart your phone

Oh, I also pulled the SDCard, but I don't think it was necessary. I hope this helps someone out that was having the same problem as me.

Made an account just to thank you for posting this. It fixed the problem perfectly on my s3. Thanks again!

Upvote 0
Silly question: How do I mount and unmount my external SD? I followed all the steps but was unsure of how this is done so i removed and re-inserted my external SD before turning off the phone and I am still having the problem. Also, Music Hub is not on my phone so I just cleared cache/data /force stop for music player. Any help will be appreciated.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones