• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Playing Music VIA Car USB (Particularly via MDI)

MadHater81

Lurker
May 26, 2011
Hi guys, im new to the forum and just joined becuase I am really need some help with my hone.

I just bought a brand new SGS2 and it is an amazing phone.. but.. to my shock horror, I can not use it with my cars factory head unit. The car is 2011 VW GOLF R, and the headunit cost me $2500. Now I know factory stuff is not always the latest/best stuff out, but my iFail 3gs and iPhone 4 as well as the HTC Desire, have no problems whatsoever playing music through it. The head unit is an RNS-510.

On my headunit, its advantageous to have it work over the USB port (MDI)(VW speak) instead of just the bluetooth connection (which i do have thank god) because:

a) you get a charge instead of draining the charge
b) all the song/artist/album names show up on this head unit.

So any gurus on here care to explain? Its seems to be a problem, even the iPods work with it.

thank you for any help!

I had the same problem.

In my car I was able to connect to the cars head unit via a usb data cable by going to; Settings; WiFi and Network; USB utilities; and press the "connect storage to PC" button.

The head unit then recognises the Samsung and pulls the music and playlists from the device and plays them ok.....plus it charges it up too!

Upvote 0
I had the same problem.

In my car I was able to connect to the cars head unit via a usb data cable by going to; Settings; WiFi and Network; USB utilities; and press the "connect storage to PC" button.

The head unit then recognises the Samsung and pulls the music and playlists from the device and plays them ok.....plus it charges it up too!

yep, that's mounting :)
hope that solved OP's question

Upvote 0
I had the same problem.

Thanks Manikey for the advice, i forgot about that setting ! Quick question when i connected the phone to the RCD510 unit it lists all the tracks rather than in the folder name, i.e it lists all the music together.I have the Samsung Galaxy S2 , any idea's?

Thanks very much

Phil

Upvote 0
I had the same problem.

I have a Galaxy s3 and the menu doesn't have this option. any idea how to set this on the S3? I have the same problem. I could connect my HTC Desire to my car via USB as a hard drive and play music from it. when i connect my Galaxy S3 to my car, the car does not recognise the device

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones