1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Playing online radio stations with Winamp/Real player problems.

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by hewittinspain, Jan 5, 2012.

1. hewittinspain

hewittinspain Lurker
    None

Jul 24, 2011
    Ive downloaded Winamp and Real player from the Android market for my Galaxy S2 and want to play an english radio station from Spain that I used to listen to when I lived over there. I can play it great through my laptop and gives you 3 options to play it through (winamp,Real and WMP) but when I click on these via my phone it says the file is unsupported. Do I need a codec for my phone or will they simply not play with the mobile versions of these players?

Advertisement

2. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member
    None

Jun 10, 2010
    New Mexico, USA
    Maybe an app support issue, so I have moved your question here to the Applications section, where hopefully you can get a speedy solution.

3. RazzMaTazz

RazzMaTazz Android Expert
    None

Jan 28, 2011
    My guess is that the radio station is streaming in a format that isn't supported by WinAmp, or perhaps your phone's CPU is not capable of running the codec.

You could try another Internet radio app lke TuneIn Radio or A Online Radio to see if those apps work with your radio station. If not, then it may be that your phone can't handle the codec (or maybe those apps also can't handle the codec).

Unlike Windows PCs, I don't think Android supports the installation of general-use codec packs. I think that the codecs either have to be part of the Android OS, or they have to be built-into the app. I don't think you can download a pack of codecs (like K-lite codec pack for the PC) and then expect your apps to take advantage of those codecs. However, there are certain apps (like the Mobo Player) which offer CPU-core-specific codec packs that plug-into their specific app.