• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Playing Youtube HD videos???

darcimarie

Lurker
Aug 6, 2010
I just got the Samsung Acclaim and I'm having trouble playing some videos on youtube. I'm not sure but it it seems as though it's the HD videos won't play?

Is there some app I can download in the market that can play the higher quality videos or am I just screwed?? LOL!

Thanks in advance for any help you all could provide

The Acclaim can't display 720p video anyway, so if you did get 720p (or higher) content to it, it would have to downsample anyway. And that would require either the site to work harder (which it won't, since it's free+ad supported) or the phone to work harder, which means a faster battery drain with no benefit to you watching. So the YouTube app probably fetches the highest quality video it can play (or possibly the lowest).

Upvote 0
Android's YouTube application is afforded two different formats, a standard definition and a higher quality one. If a video is not playing correctly, I would suspect that it's conenctivity issues or a link to a video that can not be played on the device because it has not been transcoded to a format for mobile (yet). This may happen with newer videos.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones