• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

PlayOn works AWESOME with Flash on XOOM

vcarvega

Feb 6, 2011
The official Flash release does not come out until next week, March 18... But it was also leaked earlier today. The first thing I did after downloading and installing it (which took less than 2 min) was install the PlayOn app from the Market.

If you already have PlayOn running on your home pc or laptop (perhaps for your Android phone which it also works on), you're up and running within seconds on the Xoom.

The is supposed to allow you to stream Netflix, Hulu, and a dozen or so web-streaming sites. However, what makes it truly awesome is that you can stream ANY of the media files you have stored on your PC. I have a bunch of MKV's... they were streaming flawlessly and fluidly! So that whole video player issue is effectively solved.

This also addressed my only other nagging issue that made the iPad an aggressive alternative... the ease to find and play movies through iTunes. Being able to stream anything from your hdd over wifi or 3G helps to fill the gap in the Xoom's media capabilities imo.

There are a few glitches (none during video playback), but then again, Flash still has another week before it officially debuts anyway.

There is still 4G & sdcard to be enabled... but honestly the Xoom feels like a COMPLETE media device with the addition of Flash and ingenuity of PlayOn.

It is awesome. Ive already been using it on my droid2 and wii. I did have some problems with it initially on the xoom, but that was before I got the 3.0.1 update, it seems nice now! Fyi, playon just added access to the amazon prime streaming videos (not the same as amazon vod, this is free videos for anyone with prime).

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
I prefer stand alone apps like Netflix where no need to rely on your PC being on (put my PC in sleep mode when not at the house) and not practical while traveling to leave my PC up (seems excess resources just to play videos on phone).

Kind of seems overkill, but appreciate some folks do not mind. Well, a lot do not mind apparently.... Better watch out for the energy police!!!! ;)

Upvote 0
how is this a benefit for the Xoom? How is flash involved in anyway? Ipad also has playon and the ipad doesnt have flash. the point of flash was so you could go straight onto a website like netflix and watch right on their website rather than having to pay an app to do it in a annoying workaround

I'm not sure where you got this idea. I assure you the playon app did not work without flash, not sure how the iPad one works.

Netflix uses silverlight, so I'm not sure why you would think flash would make the site work. I've had flash on my Droid2 since I've gotten it and Hulu doesn't work there either, the problem, AFAIK is that it checks your OS.

I would think at some point we'll have dedicated apps. But for now, we have a way to watch Netflix and Hulu, so I'm happy.

It's not a "benefit" for the Xoom, it's just an app that now works.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure where you got this idea. I assure you the playon app did not work without flash, not sure how the iPad one works.

Netflix uses silverlight, so I'm not sure why you would think flash would make the site work. I've had flash on my Droid2 since I've gotten it and Hulu doesn't work there either, the problem, AFAIK is that it checks your OS.

I would think at some point we'll have dedicated apps. But for now, we have a way to watch Netflix and Hulu, so I'm happy.

It's not a "benefit" for the Xoom, it's just an app that now works.

Exactly

Upvote 0
PlayOn and flash are not an either/or. We DO have flash... but flash isn't really the answer as far as streaming video from actual sites, versus apps.

Sure, an actual Netflix or Hulu app would be nicer, and I'm sure we'll get them eventually. But for now, this works fine for me.

It depends on your options. :) I NEED flash on my portable device to make it useful, to use it for school. So for me, an iPad with a Netflix app, but where I can't do my homework which is the priority makes no sense. If having a native Netflix app is your priority... then clearly you won't want an Android tablet.

Upvote 0
Well *of course* a stand alone app is more efficient. :) But since we don't have one yet, I'm really not sure the point you're trying to make.

I want stand alone apps on my Android devices and not be stuck with just Playon :)

I use Netflix on my iPod 4 using my Incredible as tether. Works great, but would be nice to have Netlfix and Hulu on my phone :)

Then again, I use several Flash sites, but they do not cache and playback as well as the Netflix app. Caches seems the main issue. Great connection, Flash is fine.

I am using the same device for Flash and Netflix for data streaming, but ironic that the Netflix app works much better using same connection on the Incredible as tether.

Seems Flash needs better cache management, since same connection.

Upvote 0
I want stand alone apps on my Android devices and not be stuck with just Playon :)

I use Netflix on my iPod 4 using my Incredible as tether. Works great, but would be nice to have Netlfix and Hulu on my phone :)

Then again, I use several Flash sites, but they do not cache and playback as well as the Netflix app. Caches seems the main issue. Great connection, Flash is fine.

I am using the same device for Flash and Netflix for data streaming, but ironic that the Netflix app works much better using same connection on the Incredible as tether.

Seems Flash needs better cache management, since same connection.

I think we agree with you about wanting standlone apps. But that not the discussion here. The point of this thread is to state that an application much of us love - PlayOn - now works pretty well, with Flash enabled.

The fact that we don't have working standalone apps for Netflix and Hulu (yet) seems tangential at best here..

Upvote 0
I've watched two Netflix shows with PlayOn, both about 48 minutes long, and in both cases the sync got off about 30-40 minutes into the show. It's hard to watch someone talking when their lips are about 3 seconds slower than the audio. Has anyone else had this problem?

Yes but I think it's a netflix issue not a playon one. I've had this happen on both my ipod and watching it through xbox. I fixed it by rewinding a couple seconds and playing again

Upvote 0
I think we agree with you about wanting standlone apps. But that not the discussion here. The point of this thread is to state that an application much of us love - PlayOn - now works pretty well, with Flash enabled.

The fact that we don't have working standalone apps for Netflix and Hulu (yet) seems tangential at best here..

Point taken, but would be nice to have the apps. Does the Tegra 2 have the needed DRM keys so we can get the apps to work? Both are being released in a few months.

Upvote 0
I just want to bump this to say I am VERY impressed with their support! I'd had to set up port forwarding to get the 3G to work, and it stopped working. It ended up being my fault, my IP address had changed (thought I had it set to static, apparently not :eek: ) but they emailed back and for with me all day, looking at logs and having me check settings and test links. They were prompt- response s in about 20 minutes, helpful, and it was an actual person and not someone reading off a script! Just thought I'd give them a shoutout. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones