• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Please Advise - Found and somehow enabled TMobile App

DustyRoads

Lurker
Apr 27, 2019
Hello,
While I was going through Lookout's(pre-installed) privacy check I seem to have found the T-MOBILE (akin to MyMetro) app and enabled it. I am now unable to disable it!
I updated it to the current version and turned off the permission I can. However, it is a little odd the have it sitting in the app draw and to have it at all.
I've actually found many "hidden apps" with Lookout and McAfee privacy scans. But this is the only one I seem to have enabled.
Please advise on how I should proceed to handle this app.
I'd prefer not to do a full restore.

Thank you for your time and help

Hello,
While I was going through Lookout's(pre-installed) privacy check I seem to have found the T-MOBILE (akin to MyMetro) app and enabled it. I am now unable to disable it!
I updated it to the current version and turned off the permission I can. However, it is a little odd the have it sitting in the app draw and to have it at all.
I've actually found many "hidden apps" with Lookout and McAfee privacy scans. But this is the only one I seem to have enabled.
Please advise on how I should proceed to handle this app.
I'd prefer not to do a full restore.

Thank you for your time and help

That's a Systems app on your device and I'm not sure how you enable it because it's supposed to run constantly in the background. But you can check in Settings then Apps and see if you can force stop it. But most likely disabled and force stop maybe grayed out.

Upvote 0
That's a Systems app on your device and I'm not sure how you enable it because it's supposed to run constantly in the background. But you can check in Settings then Apps and see if you can force stop it. But most likely disabled and force stop maybe grayed out.

Indeed! The exact path to enabling it is still unclear to me besides my "messing " with it through access from LookOut security privacy check.
Yes both Force stop and disable are perma-gray.
Do you advise that I keep it updated to current version, allow it's permissions , and re-enable it's right to "Modify system settings" ? Or keep it striped of permissions?
As far as System App it is actually a part of what I've found to be Hidden Apps that do not appear normally in the Settings->App list. Until I'd used LookOut/McAfee to access them. Which is what sparked my looking into it. Had it been listed as a system app instead of hidden.

Thank you greatly for your replies

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Indeed! The exact path to enabling it is still unclear to me besides my "messing " with it through access from LookOut security privacy check.
Yes both Force stop and disable are perma-gray.
Do you advise that I keep it updated to current version, allow it's permissions , and re-enable it's right to "Modify system settings" ? Or keep it striped of permissions?

Thank you greatly for your replies

Yes only if you're going to keep lookout security enabled on your device. If not disabled lookout and that should disable that connected app.

Upvote 0
Yes only if you're going to keep lookout security enabled on your device. If not disabled lookout and that should disable that connected app.

Unfortunately this is not true. LookOut security has been disabled for 24 hours now and replaced with McAfee. The T-MOBILE app remained in the app drawer. However I believe LookOut was disabled after I updated the T-Mobile app via the Play store. I can attempt to roll back the app and see the effects of that action.
Baring any other idea I can only assume the best practice is to keep it functioning and up to date.
[UPDATE] Roll back this apps updates and making sure LookOut is disabled had no effects. I also tested removing McAfee. I can attempt to clear the data of the Launcher and Settings apps but I don't know if they actually effect the app drawer or Settings->apps lists.

Thanks again

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Unfortunately this is not true. LookOut security has been disabled for 24 hours now and replaced with McAfee. The T-MOBILE app remained in the app drawer. However I believe LookOut was disabled after I updated the T-Mobile app via the Play store. I can attempt to roll back the app and see the effects of that action.
Baring any other idea I can only assume the best practice is to keep it functioning and up to date.
[UPDATE] Roll back this apps updates and making sure LookOut is disabled had no effects. I also tested removing McAfee. I can attempt to clear the data of the Launcher and Settings apps but I don't know if they actually effect the app drawer or Settings->apps lists.

Thanks again

I haven't use Lookout for the longest, I'm also with MetroPCS but I've never had that issue. Could you share what device you're using?

Upvote 0
Do you have this extension of Lookout on your device enabled?

Screenshot_2019-04-28-14-39-01.png

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones