1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Please cure my stupidity-- How to make a new S5 operable???

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by AppleUser, May 26, 2019.

1. AppleUser

AppleUser Android Enthusiast

I enjoy the Galaxy S5 on MetroPCS which "rides on the T-Mobile network". The screen cracked, so went on eBay to purchase a new, factory sealed S5 identical model, G900T labelled SM-900T3 UD. Went to MetroPCS and they said this new phone must be unlocked! Referred to T-Mobile and they couldn't help. This sealed package was labelled "Family Mobile" from Walmart and uses t-mobile. T-mobile told me to contact FamilyMobile (FM). FM told me they would not unlock it unless and until a year of using their service, and that's over $320 over three times the cost of the new phone!! Feels like being a hostage. Stupid me - - - should have purchased an unlocked phone.

Haven't opened the phone so have no idea if it has that small simm card, but at MetroPCS they are only $10.

Called a local phone repair place and they said that they can unlock it for $70 and it will take a week to get some code from a "Samsung server". Huh?

Any of you Android geniuses know if and how a consumer can unlock the phone? Must I throw it away? Give it away for a small tax deduction?

HELP!!!

Advertisement

2. PitCarver

PitCarver Android Expert

Back when I had to replace my original S5, I made sure that the replacement was unlocked.

3. AppleUser

AppleUser Android Enthusiast

That's wonderful. What should I now do with this phone?

4. mikedt

mikedt 你好

I've never seen or had a SIM-locked phone myself, but from what you're describing it does sound like local unlocking service might be your best option. No idea why it would take a week to get an unlock code, I would have though that would have been obtained online there and then possibly?

#4 mikedt, May 26, 2019
    Last edited: May 26, 2019
    Dannydet and ocnbrze like this.

Samsung Galaxy S5

The Samsung Galaxy S5 was announced in 2014 and was the company's first flagship of the year. The device featured a 5.1-inch display with a resolution of 1920 x 1080, 2GB of RAM, 16GB of storage, and a 16MP primary rear camera.