1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Please don't ask "How do I make this app?" questsions

Discussion in 'Android Development' started by jonbonazza, Apr 13, 2012.

1. jonbonazza

jonbonazza Android Expert

As Android becomes more and more popular, it seems that this forum is seeing more and more questions such as, "I want to make XXX app. How do I do it?"

Sometimes (albeit very rarely) these kind of questions can be answered with a relatively short response, however almost always, these questions would require at least a full-length blog post to answer. In the end, we would essentially be writing the app for you.

Something it seems people aren't realizing is that programming isn't just about writing code. In fact the majority of a programmer's time is spent developing the algorithms that will be needed to do what they want. Actually writing the code is the easy part. determining how to do what you want to do can be much, much harder.

If you have an app that you want to write, but you have no idea how to go about writing it, then you need to take a step back and, recurrsively, break the task down into smaller pieces and work with them before tieing them all together into your final product.

If you have no programming experience, then no matter what advice we give you, yo simply will not be able to accomplish your goal. Android uses many advanced, and relatively different programming concepts compared to most other platforms, so it is not a great place to start to learn programming.

Since Android uses the Java programming language, it could be beneficial to start with Java. Go out to your local Barnes & Noble or Border's and pick up a book on Java programming. Make sure you understand what is going on and not just follow the "tutorials" and copy the code. Programming isn't something you can just follow a step-by-step process and learn it. It takes time to understand everything that is going on so that you can reproduce and repurpose the concepts you learn for your own use.

After you know how to program and are able to confidently produce algorithms to do what you need (this is something that will take a few years, not a few days), then and only then do I recommend moving on to Android development. Once you understand HOW to program, migrating to another language and/or library is a trivial matter.

Lastly, I want to stress that just because you think that an app is "simple" or "basic," it does not mean that it is. If you are unsure of how to even start going about the app, how can you say that it is simple? Don't make assumptions to try to sugar coat your posts. Be realistic and we will give you realistic answers.

BridgetZtar and jonathanrz like this.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. wubbzy

wubbzy Well-Known Member

+1

I'd say rather than asking us to do your job you can actually pay us to do your job, we'll be more than happy to oblige