• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Please don't hate

Wolvie66

Nov 11, 2010
Please don't hate me for this question.
My wife bought me an Iphone 5 unlock from the apple store today. She has bought me this for facetime when she is away to visit her mom overseas. Question, can I just pull out my G4 sims card and insert it in Iphone 5 when I want to use it? Or do I have to call Verizon to change phones etc.

Thanks and again don't hate.

Wolvie

Please don't hate me for this question.
My wife bought me an Iphone 5 unlock from the apple store today. She has bought me this for facetime when she is away to visit her mom overseas. Question, can I just pull out my G4 sims card and insert it in Iphone 5 when I want to use it? Or do I have to call Verizon to change phones etc.

Thanks and again don't hate.

Wolvie

No, a G4 SIM card, to my knowledge, will not work with an iPhone. Check with Verizon to confirm this. It's also got to be a CDMA phone, not GSM (AT&T,T-Mobile).

Upvote 0
No, a G4 SIM card, to my knowledge, will not work with an iPhone. Check with Verizon to confirm this. It's also got to be a CDMA phone, not GSM (AT&T,T-Mobile).

They are interchangeable as long as they are on the same network. I swap my sim card from my GS4 to my iPhone 4S whenever I do beta installs.

Now this is an iPhone 5, I don't know if they use the same size sim card as the 4S.

Upvote 0
Why don't you just use the video chat on Google Hangouts? It works great across android and iOS. Then you don't have to use that dreaded iCrap!

That, or Skype.
I don't understand why Skype gets no love.
Especially for android, the moded xda version, works like charm, works everywhere, from desktop to devices, unlike proprietary FaceTime.

Upvote 0
Thank you all for your input, I told her to return it and get her money back. I will try Skype oovoo?
Thanks everybody for your feedback.

Wolive

Check out : http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1148708

This is slightly moded skype version, a courtesy of XDA community. So no worries or concerns about security of the app. XDA it's a trusted source.

It comes with many extra features, under ADVANCED setting. Long before Skype was capable of changing Cameras on the go, XDA Skype could switch from front to back. It also has this one little thing I need, ability to OFF the log in and log out sound. As I go in and out of data coverage, the phone would log in and log out, annoying the hell out of me. Anyway, there is many many more extras included in that app. Give it a try :)

Upvote 0
Having just upgraded to a Galaxy S4 from an iPhone 5, I can confirm the sims aren't interchangeable. Apple, in its wisdom, used a nano-sim for the iPhone 5. Since the Galaxy S4 takes a micro-sim, the two aren't interchangeable. You'll need to chop up your S4 sim for it to work in the iPhone o else have your carrier transfer the sim contents from the micro to the nano.

Upvote 0
I've found that Skype's quality has been going downhill despite their claims to the contrary.

I had better Skype video chat performance through fring back in 2010 than since.

Try a few solutions presented here, your mileage may vary.

I honestly can't say much about the quality. I don't have much to compare to. I have been using Skype and Hangouts only. But with the custom XDA version, there is a resolution setting under front and back camera, and I always use my preferred resolution, over "let skype choose", given I do most of my calls on very fast broadband, the quality has been really good.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Yep no some switch from gs4 to iPhone. Miro sim to normal size sim!

Skype is good if you have fast connection.

Fring is not bad I choose Skype coz all of my friends are there and because I like the NSA to listen to my pointless conversation. I try to make them dirty! :)

Google hangouts works fine as the others as well. If you don't want to use the iPhone you don't have to there are plenty of options to choose from and most of them are free!

Upvote 0
I honestly can't say much about the quality. I don't have much to compare to. I have been using Skype and Hangouts only. But with the custom XDA version, there is a resolution setting under front and back camera, and I always use my preferred resolution, over "let skype choose", given I do most of my calls on very fast broadband, the quality has been really good.

I've been using Skype since it first offered video chat, on desktops and phones, using high speed broadband for business and personal use, domestic, Europe and Asia.

Once upon a brief time in 2010, fring allowed Skype video (I'm not referring to fring video) - it was the alternative to the Verizon Skype exclusive. That was amazing quality. Even with 1 Mbps 3G because that was sufficient. Skype put an end to that and offered it on their app after we all started using the cracked version. It's never been as good.

Trust me - since being bought out by Microsoft, Skype video on every platform has gone downhill.

I still use it, but I know how it could look.

Like I say, everyone's mileage varies, try a few and use whatever works. :)

Upvote 0
Why don't you just use the video chat on Google Hangouts? It works great across android and iOS. Then you don't have to use that dreaded iCrap!

Last I knew before it was Google Hangouts (Talk) there was no way to connect to Apple FaceTime. I was looking for a way to do that without a separate app either on my GS4 or my son's iPod. Do u have any further info on how to cross platform video chat using Google Hangouts & Apple FaceTime?

Upvote 0
Last I knew before it was Google Hangouts (Talk) there was no way to connect to Apple FaceTime. I was looking for a way to do that without a separate app either on my GS4 or my son's iPod. Do u have any further info on how to cross platform video chat using Google Hangouts & Apple FaceTime?

What you are describing is not possible. You can download Google Hangouts to iOS devices now. Then you can communicate via Hangouts to Hangouts... on any device (iphone, android, computer, etc.). It always amazes me that iphone users only think they can "Facetime" chat... they don't realize there are so many other apps out there.

Upvote 0
What you are describing is not possible. You can download Google Hangouts to iOS devices now. Then you can communicate via Hangouts to Hangouts... on any device (iphone, android, computer, etc.). It always amazes me that iphone users only think they can "Facetime" chat... they don't realize there are so many other apps out there.

Ok...didn't know u could download Hangouts on Apple devices (I've never owned one...never will). I'll have to have my son download it to his iPod. He used to use Vtalk to do it. I was hoping there was a way to video chat FaceTime straight to Hangouts.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones