1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

General Please email HTC about Swype

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jdsingle, Jun 26, 2011.

1. jdsingle

jdsingle Android Expert
    None

Jul 25, 2010
    PLEASE refrain from commenting in this thread unless it is specifically related to what my OP is. I'm glad Swype works with x number of 3rd party applications. I'm glad it works on different ROMs. I am only discussing STOCK text messaging application on the HTC Thunderbolt.

Since some people don't seem to understand what I mean when I say Swype doesn't work. I am talking about using Swype in the STOCK text messaging application. Yes you can still use it but Auto-Spacing and Auto-Caps does NOT work.

I looked through the threads in this forum and only saw ~15 threads on Swype and none of them stating why it doesn't work and whether or not people have taken the initiative to email HTC or send them a comment on Twitter or Facebook.

Here is the current email/response I am going through with HTC. If you guys could email them at

HTC Email Support

Or comment this to them on:

Twitter

Facebook

Their response:

I understand some of you don't like Swype or don't use it, if that is so, please refrain from commenting in this thread. My post isn't directed at you.

Advertisement

2. Lik1

None

Jun 20, 2011
    Swype works perfect on the tbolt. Download the evo version. It even works with stock sms and auto space works as well. It has to be the htc evo version of swype

3. Jerniganc

Jerniganc Member
    None

Apr 29, 2010
    Service manager
    Pensacola, Florida
    I am using the swype beta client atm and it works great, can't wait until it goes live.

4. jdsingle

jdsingle Android Expert
    None

Jul 25, 2010
    I am signed up for the Beta on Swype. How do I force it to download EVO version?

To Jerniganc, is it working in the stock messaging app?

5. sims0018

sims0018 Newbie
    None

Apr 29, 2010
    I have Swype on my thunderbolt and it works perfectly. I didn't have to download any particular version for the phone. I just used the beta

6. pat3332

pat3332 Well-Known Member
    None

May 1, 2011
    Oklahoma City
    Just wondered if you had tried the Flex T9 keyboard. If you haven't and you can't get Swype to work, you might try it, or maybe Slide It.

7. jdsingle

jdsingle Android Expert
    None

Jul 25, 2010
    Are you using the stock text messaging application?

8. Dark Jedi

Dark Jedi Guest
    None
    Did you have swype on another phone prior to your bolt? You do realize that swype can be only registered to one phone at a time.

9. Jerniganc

Jerniganc Member
    None

Apr 29, 2010
    Service manager
    Pensacola, Florida
    It sure is, I'm running a stock TB, only thing I use its launcher pro plus. Only pita is having to reinstall it when the phone goes dead.

10. jdsingle

jdsingle Android Expert
    None

Jul 25, 2010
    Yes I am aware of that. If this was the issue then I wouldn't be able to use Swype. I'm having an issue with Auto-capitalization and Auto-spacing. It has been noted on the Swype forums as being a problem they cannot fix. Swype works on most of the applications on the TB. However, many people have documented that these two capabilities are not working in the stock text messaging application.

Hmmm...I've tried everything I can think of. Auto-cap and Auto-space still do not work in stock text messaging application.

11. rcpratt

rcpratt Member
    None

Mar 17, 2011
    Auto-spacing with the regular Swype beta does not work on the TB with the stock SMS app. For those that say otherwise, I'd like to see it.

This issue is ridiculous and if HTC doesn't get it figured out I won't be buying another HTC phone. I'm still having to use the crappy Evo version instead of being able to use 3.0.

I'll email them shortly.

12. mdeblaz

mdeblaz Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 29, 2010
    Swype spacing and caps does not work on many htc devices for the stock sms app. But honestly, how hard is it to hit the space bar? That's what I do. And caps are not necessary when texting. It works with every other app and I've read that it will work with GB so just wait it out.

HTC can't do anything to fix it and Swype is aware of the problem and admittedly can't fix it either.

13. EgoDogg

EgoDogg Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 2, 2010
    Champs Sports
    West Pittston, PA
    In case you's didn't know, there is a NEW version of swype out. If you're using the old version with the box that shows 4 different possible words if Swype isn't sure what you typed, you're on the old version. Uninstall it, and use the Swype Installer to re-install it (will automatically do the new version).

Swype works fine in the stock messaging app for me (I don't know if it's because I'm on the new version, or because I'm rooted with Gingeritis). Worth a try though. I like the new version much better anyways.

14. rcpratt

rcpratt Member
    None

Mar 17, 2011
    Obviously.

15. madAdam

madAdam Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 25, 2009
    Auto-space works with GO SMS Pro. Should keep you going until the GB update comes.

16. MRW1215

MRW1215 Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2011
    I wanted to try Swype, but they never sent me the e-mail with the installer. Was kind of a while ago I registered for it, too... :/

17. rcpratt

rcpratt Member
    None

Mar 17, 2011
    I'm aware, tried it, not for me.

18. grossie

grossie Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 20, 2010
    Swype works great on Handcent! Sorry, I know that's not the answer you're looking for, but Handcent is a pretty nifty text message app and it's free.

19. jdsingle

jdsingle Android Expert
    None

Jul 25, 2010
    I'm well aware that it works with other text messaging apps. If I wanted other text messaging applications I would not have posted this.

It defeats the purpose of having Swype for me. Oh really? That's interesting because they've repeatedly said that it is HTC with the problem in the input field in the stock text messaging application being labeled as a web address. So, clearly your statement is incorrect.

Can we please keep responses like this out of this thread?

1. You're on a rooted ROM. That isn't stock now is it?
    2. I'm well aware on how to use Swype and also ensure that I am running the latest edition. However, this would make NO DIFFERENCE because it is a fault on HTC not the application.

20. madAdam

madAdam Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 25, 2009
    Well excuse me. This was my first post ever in the HTC area of these forums. I've been active in the Motorola section for years, and just traded my Droid X for a Thunderbolt. The Motorola folks are always helpful, patient and friendly. If your rude, pissy attitude is indicative of the HTC crowd I think I'm going to return the TB and wait for a Droid Bionic.

21. Eric Bishop

Eric Bishop Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 1, 2009
    With due respect to your ability to bold text and increase font, I must point out that you're paying for text messaging on a phone that has seamless integration with Google Voice and unlimited, LTE data, and you don't seem to be concerned at all with that fact.

If you drop your text messaging package (assuming you can do this without affecting the rest of your plan) and just use Google Voice, you'll eliminate your Swype problem and pocket a little cash.

22. mdeblaz

mdeblaz Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 29, 2010
    Thank you for your kind words... The space bar has been around for years, stop whining. I am correct in that htc cannot fix it since it's already been addressed in the gb update. You just have to wait like the rest of us or flash a gb rom. I can't imagine htc seeing this as a major concern that affords a maintenance update just to get one app working in one very specific area. Be patient

P.S. I use swype as my default keyboard

23. Wanderlusterer

None

Apr 6, 2011
    Also, jdsingle; you're not the only one who uses the application on a stock device only. Perhaps you should consult the sywpeinc.com forums to address this issue. Why? BECAUSE HUNDREDS OF PEOPLE ALREADY HAVE. In fact, while the application doesn't space like it's supposed to with the Thunderbolt and although the developer specifically points the blame at HTC for the app not working properly, WHY DOES SPACING WORK CORRECTLY ON OTHER APPLICATIONS SUCH AS T9 FOR THE THUNDERBOLT?

Take mdeblaz's advice.

24. jdsingle

jdsingle Android Expert
    None

Jul 25, 2010
    I've already consulted with other forums. Hence me asking people to email HTC instead of having everyone in here email HTC. I'm well aware that other people have asked about this and made comments about it.

I've never used T9 for the Thunderbolt. However, unless it does automatic spacing then this is irrelevant. Furthermore, this doesn't touch on the issue with Auto-capitalization either.

25. jdsingle

jdsingle Android Expert
    None

Jul 25, 2010
    I don't pay for the service so there is no point in me trying to pocket a little cash. So, none of this would concern me. Thanks for the advice though.

Can you please show me where you are certain this will be addressed in the GB update? I'm interested in seeing how an update to Gingerbread is going to fix this particular problem. After discussing with the Swype dev it does not seem like a GB update is going to fix this.