1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Please excuse the Rookie

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by detailer, Dec 9, 2013.

1. detailer

detailer Newbie

Wow,extensive forum! Warm welcomes too.
    Anyway,looking to root a Kocaso 1050S.Been to Kocaso threads,and only found reference from one guy who rooted a M1062 with superuser by chaindd.
    I'm way out of my element here (this ain't Windows),and a visit to AndroidSU.com got my head spinning trying to follow what I think this guy did.
    My situation is that I can only find one firmware update from Kocaso's site,and I'm really looking to upgrade from ICS to Jelly Bean.or maybe even Kit Kat.The steps outlined from the parent site seem to conflict with the steps from the sister site where you are sent to download the needed files.
    If I'm going to incur the cost and the anguish of this procedure to maybe make the perfect brick,I'd rather do it trying to upgrade the OS than the firmware.And I hope I don't need new firmware to root :thinking:
    So,is rooting what I need/want to do to upgrade,and if so,can anyone point me in the right direction? Sorry for the lengthy post.

ocnbrze likes this.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Rukbat

Rukbat Extreme Android User

Wait. You want to root so you can upgrade? Most rooting on most phones prevents most upgrades, so you're sitting down to get taller.

Speaking of Windows (you did, don't deny it now), rooting is like "Run as administrator". That's ALL it is. If you want to delete a read-only file, root will allow you to override the read-only status and delete it. Things like that. It will NOT make your phone faster. It will NOT spot the cop with the radar gun around the corner. It won't even warm your coffee up.

If you want to upgrade the Android version (ICS, JB, KK are version names), you have to find a ROM (basically a firmware package - Android nomenclature and normal computer nomenclature share some letters, but they're not the same language) that can be flashed (written to ROM [in the computer sense this time]) that was writen for that version and for your device. If the Kacaso is a fairly common device, and developers are working on ROMS for it, you shouldn't have much of a problem. But this is the first time I've heard the name, so you've got a search ahead of you. (Flash a ROM meant for a different device - even a different model of the same device - and you have an expensive picture frame.)

Installing a custom recovery, like CWM, can make flashing a ROM a lit easier. But that's not rooting. Neither is flashing a ROM. (Although almost all ROMS are rooted.)

BTW, doing ANY of the above - installing ANY custom firmware - totally voids ALL warranties and almost all insurance on your tab. If the writing wears off the battery, they'll blame it on rooting or on the custom ROM. Some people run nitro through their car engines, but the vast majority are perfectly content pulling up to the pump and filling the tank with plain old boring gasoline. And the car gets to the same place as the one running nitro - with no risk of becoming a human torch. It just doesn't make as many people turn their heads.

Most of what you want to do with whatever ROM you want to flash you can do in other, non-warranty-voiding ways. You like the launcher that ROM uses? Download and install the launcher. It'll run on the stock ROM. Granted, there are some apps that won't run without root, but most people have no idea what a data packet is, so why void the warranty so you can see the data packets passing through your phone?

If you NEED root to do what you want to use your phone for, root it. If you're an experimenter and want to see if you can adapt AOSP Kit Kat to your tablet, have at it. (And be prepared for the near heart attacks as your tab seems to be dead, and you have to try 97 different ways to make it groan again.)

But if you're using it as a tablet, look in the Play store (that should take a couple of weeks) and look at all the free apps you can put on your tab without risking any warranty-voiding damage. (Droid Sheep are cute, but I'm not risking $700 to watch packets.) I used Froyo and Gingerbread for years, hadn't heard of Kit Kat (other than the kind that would send my blood sugar through the roof) and still had loads of fun (and got loads of work done) with Android.

funkylogik likes this.
  3. detailer

detailer Newbie

So,I was doing a lot more reading while waiting for my first reply,and I think I'm starting to wrap my head around this whole root vs. upgrade via ROM thing,and...... just what the hell is wrong with Windows anyway ? :p (kidding -I could write a book)
    Being on the infant side of novice,I thought I had to root the tablet to get it to upgrade to a newer version of Android as no updates appear to be available to it through conventional means.That is,my tablet tells me it's "up to date" after checking for updates.
    I bought this thing about a year ago,cheap, to see if I would like Android-played with it for @ 4 hours and put it back in the box.As I look at new tablets,I see I have a hardware deficiency (by current standards),and thought an OS upgrade from ICS to JB much like Vista to 7 (oh crap,there's that Windows thing again) would make it a bit speedier.
    So,I need a ROM I'm probably never going to find,just like you can't find much even from the manufacturer's website in respect to this little device.
    I really think I could take a shine to this whole Android thing,if this tablet would just do stuff faster.Would an upgrade of the OS possibly make this run better/faster?
    Bottom line seems to be that I got what I paid for.Any additional thoughts?

argedion likes this.
  4. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Probably not enough to make any discernible difference. :(

That is one of the major problems with off-brand devices. You are usually stuck in the version it comes with. FWIW I have an Asus T-101 tablet which has a large developer community (or it did, anyway) and I am running 4.3 right now and while it's smoother, it still lags at times and does feel significantly slower than newer tablets. I am not ready to throw it away, though. It still works just fine for my needs, occasional lag notwithstanding.

funkylogik likes this.
  5. detailer

detailer Newbie

That's the kind of thing I was trying to determine.
    I was looking at it from a Windows perspective (oops,there's that naughty word again),in that as any PC user knows,XP and & 7 both run far better and faster on the same hardware as Vista. :banghead:

6. Rukbat

Rukbat Extreme Android User

The Android equivalent of an upgrade from Vista is like turning the device on. Any upgrade from Vista runs - just like a turned-on Android device.

It depends on what's in it. A Commodore 64 running a 6502 version of Windows 8 will still crawl. If you want speed in Android you need at least 1.5GHz on th CPU and a couple of gigs of RAM. Or you run just one program at a time.

No, that's about the best one when it comes to Android clones. Not that there aren't any problems with the real deal. If you search for "this is how the 4.3 update destroyed my S3", assuming a search engine could actually parse that into a search, you'd be waiting months for the list to stop filling up. Real Android. Real well-known manufacturer. I think I've seen more bugs since that one update than I've seen during the total lifespan of any 10 other cellphone models. (And I'm including "wonderphones" like VoiceStream in that.)

7. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

yeah unfortunately with off brand devices, you will not get much support for anything: http://androidforums.com/android-lounge/631594-off-brand-phones-tablets-worth-low-cost.html

if you are going to root the device you want to get one that has a development community behind it. this way you get some pretty cool stuff like a custom recovery so that you can make backups. also you can flash custom roms and even try some android upgrades like 4.3 or 4.4.

so unfortunately you are getting what you paid:(

argedion likes this.
  8. detailer

detailer Newbie

Thank you for the replies.I'll do some more reading here on the forums so I can get an education before proceeding.The newer,speedier tablets are pretty reasonably priced for Xmas-might go that route.

Cheers !!

9. lunatic59

Normally I don't like to promote one retailer over another and of course there is always amazon, but if you want something you can flash and play with and has a huge developer community by design, you can pick up a refurbished Nexus 7 (1st generation) for $120 from Woot.com. Link right here. :)

Mind you, buying refurbished equipment is something you have to be comfortable with because as a rule you only get a 90 day warranty. And, this is no way an endorsement of Woot or the Nexus 7 but I, personally, am very positive about both. :)

Good luck.

argedion, funkylogik and ocnbrze like this.
  10. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;)

Some great replies here :) good read :thumbup:
    Im gona try and get a 1st gen nexus 7 around xmas. its still being officially updated by google but ill probably root it and put a custom rom on :)

ocnbrze likes this.
  11. argedion

argedion The TechnoFrog

+1 for the Nexus 7 I absolutely love mine. I just updated kit kat on it and then rerooted it :D always nice to have a device that is rootable.

12. lunatic59

Do you have the first or second generation?

13. argedion

argedion The TechnoFrog

Yes first generation

lunatic59 likes this.
  14. funkylogik

Its still selling for

15. lunatic59

funkylogik likes this.
  16. funkylogik

Nah amazon UK mate. Actually just checked and its

17. boathead

boathead Android Enthusiast

i bought a china phone mostly out of curiosity....bad mistake. it has taken me quite some time to get it to the "useable" state. truth be told, it is now my favority 5" book reader. i got what i paid for.

funky....hold out for the 2013 nexus 7. on black friday i got a 32gb 2012 nexus 7 for $130 usd. at the same time, i bought my son a 2013 32gb nexus 7 for $190 usd.

now, the 2012 is more than i'll ever need. i read books and play chess. cutting edge stuff, i know. but i guess there is a bit of a spec whore in me. because i want my son's 2013 badly.:)

funkylogik likes this.
  18. funkylogik

Haha swap him. He'll never know :-D
    Yeah i plan to keep my s3 as my geek device and the n7 be just a media device shared with the wife but i know what im like, ill end up trying to squeeze as much performance out of it as i can lol. Ill wait until the last week of xmas or maybe even the boxing day sales and weigh up which is the best deal.
    I definately want to buy new because we get 2yrs warranty here :)

Off topic lol but i just remembered, my wife thought black friday was like a friday 13th kinda thing, really unlucky and scary until i explained it to her.
    Shh dont tell her i told anyone :D

19. detailer

detailer Newbie

My first official thread,and great to see so many jump on board-even though we have strayed a bit.

1) I have no problem with refurbs. Have had great luck with several

2) Reviews I've read put the 2nd gen Nexus head and shoulders above its predecessor

3) I'm taking a serious look at the Hisense Sero 7 Pro. Excellent reviews,and where it really counts,overwhelming positive user feedback.If it were to perform half way decent,I would forgo the mod or ROM

Thanks to all.Great feedback !!

20. funkylogik

Sorry about the straying man. I have a serious habit of that lol :beer:

21. detailer

detailer Newbie

Hence the feline avatar??

22. lunatic59

No. He's just got a short attention ... um ... what was I saying? ;)

As for the Hisense Sero 7 Pro, even if it works great out of the box, consider how future-proof it might be. If the manufacturer abandons the line or isn't forthcoming with updates, a year from now you might be right back here in the same situation. Now don't get me wrong. There's nothing wrong with sticking with stock until it's way past its expiration date. I know people still using phones with stock FroYo and are perfectly happy. It's just something to consider.

Tablets from Google (the Nexus line), Samsung, Asus, LG ... these most likely will all have development going on for them long beyond the manufacturers support. Could be the Hisense line will, too. I just don't know.

23. detailer

detailer Newbie

I began this only because I was looking to get an under powered tab to run better.I think a shiny new Nexus or Sero would run fast enough to suit me.Just wanted something more convienient than breaking out the laptop to read email and surf.

Now,the more I read,the more confused I become regarding the term "root"
    Even been to Wikapedia.Let me show an example of my confusion

I went here > http://androidforums.com/kocaso-tablets/695773-kosaco-m1062-easy-root.html < Then I checked out both of these apps from my PC over at the Google Play Store.Superuser and Root Checker

A side note first.Google showed both apps "were compatable" with my (mouse over the green ?) "unknown M1050S". Amazing how Google knows I have this device.Had to be through the Gmail account I'm guessing

Anyway,back to the matter at hand.I'm looking at the screen shot for the root checker app.,and I'm seeing two lines in red print

1)Due to security concerns,Google bans apps from providing root access
    2)Will not root this device Will verify proper root installation

Now,looking back to the linked post,and assuming our member got the "Congratulations! This device has root access!" Has he actually "rooted" the tablet (as he claims),or achieved some sort of verification in respect to root access ??

So,in other words,I'm asking,is verifying root access and rooting the same thing?

Sorry to be so dense on this.It's frustrating :banghead: for me because I had Windows down cold with little to no effort

24. boathead

boathead Android Enthusiast

rooting is what you do. verify root is what you then do to find out that you didn't actually do the first thing.:)

i'll be honest, i've rooted a few devices. and then i always check (verify), and am always a bit flabbergasted and astounded to see that this voodoo actually worked. cuz it's all some sort of black magic that i'll never quite understand.

25. detailer

detailer Newbie

So in the case of our fellow member, Superuser app. performed the root,and Root Checker verified that the root was performed sucessfully?

I'm following your clever wording,but still don't have a clear answer here.Sorry :thinking: