1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Please fix Android Auto

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by KellieDawn, Jun 20, 2017.

1. KellieDawn

KellieDawn Lurker

I was so excited to have a way to communicate and listen to music (hands-free) in my new car. I have been so frustrated with Android Auto!! It is not intuitive AT ALL. And in the last couple of weeks my Google Play quit working (having Google play while I am driving is the biggest reason I bought GP to begin with)! Also, half the time it does not reply to my messages correctly, or shuts down in the middle of them! As I travel a lot from place to place for my work, this is something that is needed. I have been so disgusted, I have considered moving over to the Apple product (gasp), which would be a big move for me as I have never been a big fan. PLEASE FIX ANDROID AUTO AND GOOGLE PLAY ON IT!!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Android Auto is not 100% compatible with all new car head units. You have to have one that specifically states it works with Android Auto to have all those features.

Just so we might be able to offer alternative suggestions, which phone do you have and what car did you get?

FWIW, we are not in any way affiliated with Google or the developers of Android Auto. Android forums is user support forum. Just a group of people who try and help others with Android questions. If you want to get feedback straight to Google, the best place would be reviewing the app on the play store.

El Presidente, Hadron and Unforgiven like this.
  3. KellieDawn

KellieDawn Lurker

The problem was it was working 2 weeks ago. It always had hiccups (with messages), but now Google play will not work at all. It is frustrating. I have used the same phone since I bought the car and even confirmed with Android Auto that my phone was compatible (it is).

4. lunatic59

While your phone may be compatible with Android Auto, it doesn't necessarily mean that the car supports all features. However, since you said it was working and stopped two weeks ago, then we can look at a few things to see if we can get it working again.

First, how do you connect it to your car? Bluetooth or USB cable?

Are you saying Google Play as in the Play store? Or are you saying that it doesn't recognize voice commands to play music/media?

It would still be helpful if we knew the phone and car models.

Unforgiven likes this.
  5. KellieDawn

KellieDawn Lurker

The messaging seems to be working ok at this time, thankfully. Google play still will not work, when I hook it up (via USB cable) it logs on with no problem to Android Auto. I then choose Google play music, or ask android to play a certain song. I then get a message on a black screen with 'Google Play Music doesn't seem to be working right now'. I own a 2017 Kia Sportage SX. Audible works, I heart radio works, but not Google Play. Also, when I connect to Android Auto it always asks me if I want to update my contacts (which I have done over and over). Asks every time! As far as the messages, when it does act up, I will dictate a reply to a text and then it will ask me to send. Sometimes when I say 'send', it will return to asking me what is the message. Other times, I will say send and it will indicate it is 'working' by the little icon but never go off. I have to end up canceling to get back to the normal screen. This can be frustrating. This week the messaging and replying to texts have been fine (fingers crossed). However, the google play is frustrating as I like to use it for traveling a lot in work and like playing from my playlists.

6. lunatic59

Well, there are a couple of things I would check. First make sure you have the most recent Play Music and Android Auto apps. Go to the play store and see if there are any pending updates for either.

In Play Music settings, under playback, make sure you have 'Stream only on WiFi' set to off and quality on mobile network is normal or low.

Then I'd go to settings > Apps > Android Auto > Permissions and make sure AA and Play Music have the permission to access your phone, contacts and the internet. While there, you might as well dump the cache for each (not data) and then reboot your phone.

You might want to temporary disable any anti-virus to see if that has any effect.

Unforgiven likes this.

Android Auto - Google Maps, Me

Android Auto - Google Maps, Me Forum

com.google.android.projection.gearhead

Android Auto is your smart driving companion that helps you stay focused, connected, and entertained with the Google Assistant. With a simplified interface, large buttons, and powerful voice actions, Android Auto is designed to make it easier to use apps that you love from your phone while you’re on the road. Just say “Ok Google” to... • Route to your next destination using Google Maps or Waze with real-time GPS navigation and traffic alerts. • Get updates on your route, ETA, and hazards in real-time. • Have the Google Assistant check your calendar for you so you know where you need to be. • Set reminders, get updates on the news, and check last night’s score. • Avoid distractions while driving by setting a custom do not disturb message while driving. • Make calls using Google Assistant and answer incoming calls with just a tap. • Access your contacts folder and send and receive messages with the Google Assistant using SMS, Hangouts, WhatsApp, Skype, Telegram, WeChat, Kik, Google Allo, and many more messaging apps. • Manage your infotainment system like never before. Listen to your favorite media apps including Spotify, Pandora, iHeartRadio, Google Play Music, Amazon Music, SiriusXM, TIDAL - High Fidelity Music Streaming, Napster Music, and Deezer. Many more music, radio, news, sports news, audiobook, and podcast apps are also supported. The number of compatible apps is always growing! For a full list of compatible apps, go to http://g.co/androidauto To use Android Auto, you’ll need a phone running Android 5.0 or higher (Lollipop, Marshmallow, Nougat, or Oreo) and an active data connection. Over 400 car models now support Android Auto! To find out if your car display is compatible and how to enable it, check your owner’s manual or contact your car’s manufacturer. Once enabled, use a high quality USB cable to connect your phone to your car, then launch Android Auto to get going! Learn more about Android Auto and compatible cars at http://android.com/auto For support: http://support.google.com/androidauto Get help from our community: https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!forum/android-auto

READ MORE
March 23, 2020
Last Updated
Rating
100M+
Installs