• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help please help - - - dialer doesnt work apps crash all the time

gawriele

Sep 9, 2011
my knowledge of android is zero and i need your help guys. i got my dhd from my friends friends friend in china... its was originally made for at&t but rooted at some point to suit a potential chinese customer. android shows as 2.2.1. i didnt install any non-market apps or exstensively mess with with settings.

problems are numerous with a huge delay (like 15-30sec) between dialing a number and the phone calling on the top of the list. the only way i was able to solve it was to factory reset (with clockworkmod 3.01.9) but the problem reappears after disconnecting the battery (btw is there any other way to turn dhd off (not standby)?). system crashes all the time (activities, processes, apps not responding) and it generally sucks to have a phone that cant call.

please help me

The best way to turn it off and properly off is to remove the battery and put it back in once turned off via the power button menu. Now as you said you are able to use Clockworkmod it would suggest you are rooted. If thats the case plonk an alternative ROM on the phone such as LeeDrOiD and install that. Could be your using an alternative to the stock GB. In anycase if you can throw us the info from: MENU>SETTINGS>ABOUT PHONE>SOFTWARE INFORMATION please.

Upvote 0
thanks

from what ive read my phone must have been "re-branded" if its even possible. there is a at&t logo on the back and my friend told me it comes from a shipment to the states but the software number reads as follows:

HTC Desire-HD S4 By 20110321 www.anfone.com

funny, because anfone is just an app store - they dont provide mobile services or something...

normal update crashes on the android logo and so does cm7.

Upvote 0
most definitely. v.3.01.9

and superuser as well. i was trying too check if my phone had been rooted myself but root check is banned in china and the other method i found in one of the threads (using an input console) didnt give me anything.

sometimes the system works perfectly though, like now for a few hours. strange...

Upvote 0
Try fixing permissions in clockwork?

Another good idea
709-495.gif

Reactions: El Presidente
Upvote 0
i tried everything with this chinese mod they infected my phone with - including fixing permissions - nothin worked till i flashed leedroid 3.3 as recommended. everything seems to work fine for now, a little bit slower though... thank you.

another lame question. what exactly is this radio s-off/on? do i need a special pair of headphones haha

Upvote 0
another lame question. what exactly is this radio s-off/on? do i need a special pair of headphones haha

S-ON is HTC's inbuilt security check which stops you loading custom recovery images (clockwork/amon ra etc) and it stops you from writing to other parts of the phones internals.

S-OFF just disables the security check allowing you virtually full access to your phone.

Reactions: gawriele
Upvote 0
Some more info on my findings

1. The problems started the day I used a spare (not original HTC) battery. It was nearly dead by the end of the day. I don't know if using a non original battery could be related. This phone seems to only last 1 day on a full charge !

2. I went back to the original battery, uninstalled taskiller and ZD box. After a while the phone started behaving OK and worked fine for the next 2 days.

3. The OS was not rooted, I could not use platinum backup etc.

4. I went back to the phone market a couple of days later, they changed the OS for me. So far so good :)

Upvote 0
1. The problems started the day I used a spare (not original HTC) battery. It was nearly dead by the end of the day. I don't know if using a non original battery could be related. This phone seems to only last 1 day on a full charge !

Battery life on the DHD is not generally very good... it is possible to get quite a while out of it - there are guides on how to do this elsewhere in the DHD forums. If it is a non-htc battery, there could be issues with it... again, there are a few different threads on 3rd party batteries.

2. I went back to the original battery, uninstalled taskiller and ZD box. After a while the phone started behaving OK and worked fine for the next 2 days.

You do not need task killers on Android (everything I've ever seen about task killers is bad... due to the way that Android works, it will decide what to kill... you can end up killing things and then have the phone re-start the apps again, therefore wasting more power - again, I won't go in to it... El Presidente did a great post/thread on why to not use task killers... I'll link it if I find it!)

3. The OS was not rooted, I could not use platinum backup etc.

You wouldn't be able to use Titanium backup if you weren't rooted.

4. I went back to the phone market a couple of days later, they changed the OS for me. So far so good :)

Sounds like you got it all sorted... glad the phone's working again!

Reactions: El Presidente
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones