• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root PLEASE HELP display is draining battery

Hi,

I've done some considerable searching and can't seem to find an answer to my problem. My battery breakdown has been extremely skewed ever since I upgraded to a rooted, odexed gingerbread 2 days ago. I have an evo 4g

Display 74%
Standby 8%
Idle 6%
Android system 5%

This is causing my phone to run really hot (100F +) without doing a single task (in the awake state on home screen) and the battery is draining faster than i thought possible. I thought it might be because i had old firmware but updated to the latest radio, wimax, and pri this morning. It only seems to have made it worse.

Any help would be appreciated!!

First what are you using for a wallpaper? If its a live wallpaper,get rid of it. The other thing I and my daughter have noticed, since we flashed certain roms is, for some reason the automatic brightness is turning it self up many times a day. What is your brightness set to now? Check it a couple of times a day. What do you have your screen turning off at? 15 sec. Might be good for you. What is your up time and awake time on your evo? They should not be the same. Other people here will step in and give ideas too. Goodluck
If all else fails, I'd flash a different Rom. Not all Roms play nice on every phone. Lots to choose from.

Upvote 0
It means your phone is not sleeping. That is the main reason your battery isn't lasting. Sounds like you have a rougue app. Running wild. Try going to the market and downloading spare parts. It may give you a pretty good idea what app. Etc is running wild. Read the instructions for it. I seem to remember you need to let it run a few hours to really see what's going on. Have you downloaded anything about the same time these issues started. If you did and can remember what it was delete it and pull the battery. If nothing else start removing apps. One by one. Glad I could help. ;)
I think I had a brain freeze...just reading spare parts and I'm not sure that's the app. I was thinking of...lol. long day...hang on ill check
Ok, yes, Spare parts...lol

Upvote 0
Thanks guys.. forums are the way to go for tech help.

Spare parts wasn't turning anything up and I was having trouble downgrading the PRI so I switched over to CM7. I heard a lot of good things about it and it seems to be playing a lot more nicely with my phone.. No more up=awake so that's a good sign. Display is also sucking less battery.

I appreciate all the advice!

Upvote 0
Thanks guys.. forums are the way to go for tech help.

Spare parts wasn't turning anything up and I was having trouble downgrading the PRI so I switched over to CM7. I heard a lot of good things about it and it seems to be playing a lot more nicely with my phone.. No more up=awake so that's a good sign. Display is also sucking less battery.

I appreciate all the advice!

also i would recommend that you try the timat kernel. it with cm7 has given me the best battery life so far. i was easily getting 18-35 hrs on one charge with moderate to heavy usage.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones