• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root PLEASE Help! Evo 4g returning to MY old rom

Gus22

Aug 3, 2010
please help i flashed a custom rom onto my evo 4g and forgot to sync my contacts with google. I went through all the neccessary steps to back up my data but i am trying to get back to my original rom with all my data via clockwork recovery mode and i am having trouble doing so. when i do it from rom manager and go to manage and restore backups and click on my backed up rom and it says no files found. is there another way to retrieve my data or get back to my backup rom. If anyone could please give me some tips on the steps to recovering my contacts it would be greatly appreciated. BTW i researched for quite some time before posting this thread so please be easy on me :(

Ok, so you're saying you made a nandroid backup? Use any file manager to go to /sdcard/clockworkmod/backup/ If you don't see anything in there, I'm afraid you're SOL. If you see folder(s) with the date(s) you created a backup, you should be good. Tap on the one you want, and make sure there are .img files. Don't mess with them, just make sure they're there.

Now, boot into hboot by turning off the phone and holding down the volume down button as you turn the phone back on. Once in hboot, boot into recovery via the menu option. In clockwork recovery, follow the menus to restore a backup. I can't think of where exactly it is off the top of my head as I don't use clockwork, but it's not hard to find. You will be prompted for which backup you want to restore.

If you've already made changes to the rom you flashed, make sure you make a nandroid backup of it before you do the restore.

Reactions: Gus22
Upvote 0
did you use clockwork to create the backup. if you are using amonra you cannot restore a clockwork backup and if the backup was made with amonra you cannot use clockwork to restore it

the same is true if you have changed hboot versions. you cannot restore a nanadroid made in a different hboot version (actually happened to me once)

and do what he suggested above...look in the clockwork folder on your sd card and make sure there actually is a backup there.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones