1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Please help! First time android owner

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by rkchkjhk27, Mar 23, 2011.

1. rkchkjhk27

rkchkjhk27 Newbie
    None

Mar 6, 2011
    Ok, I bought the thunderbolt last week and I love this phone and android however, I am getting somewhat frustrated about the battery life. Its not horrid by any means and seems to be getting better.

I've spent many hours reading other threads and just would like some final clarification on the best settings to get the most out of my battery. I apologize if this is redundant, however I am now even more confused after going to my local corporate Verizon store and getting no useful information from them, so I will be eternally grateful for all the help I can get. Thank you in advance.

I don't do an extreme amount with my phone other than refresh twitter once or twice an hour, text, minimal web surfing, and check email on 2 accounts (gmail and my microsoft exchange) and watch the occasional video and play angry birds a few times a day (not more than ten minutes 3 times a day).

1. Do I use a task killer or not, I had advanced task killer and read all the forums and they say do not use it, Verizon employee told me 10 minutes ago it was essential...I'm now confused.

2.Is there an app that will shut off wireless data and wait to turn it on when I wake up my phone. (I have read about Green Power Free and this seems the closest to what I need...any thoughts?)

3. Do I need to disable background data or can I leave it running with minimal effects on my battery.

4. Any other power saving/ android advice would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement

2. Lunacy

Lunacy Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 22, 2011
  3. Andy4390

Andy4390 Lurker
    None

Mar 22, 2011
    I agree with everything in the above link except for the Juice Defender part. Juice Defender doesn't seem to work on my TB. Every time the screen locks, the app would disable. I downloaded Green Power instead. I actually like it much better!

You also want to try to bump charge your phone. I'm new to Android too and I found this last night. Google "What is bump charging" and there's an article on how to do it. It's definitely helped extend my battery life. Nothing hugely dramatic, but it's noticeable.

4. Lunacy

Lunacy Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 22, 2011
    I had the same problem with JD. I uninstalled it and got the beta version and it seems to be working fine.

5. Skeletronix

Skeletronix Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 17, 2010
    Philthadelphia
    Hello! Welcome to Android! Everyone has their own opinions around here, but here's my setup, and Ive been getting solid battery life.
    #1 No task killer! Alot of the built in apps on your phone start up automatically, killing them uses more battery to re-start them. Android is designed to manage your multi-tasking.
    Not sure about #2, I don't use them.
    #3. I keep all background data on. I bought a smartphone to be smart. I enjoy having all of my info available as soon as possible. Some people talk about turning off 4g or turning off data sync, but thats crazy IMO. I pay alot of money per month for these features. Aaaanyway...
    The biggest drain on battery as far as I can tell, is the display. Its a big screen and it takes a lot of juice to keep it as bright and colorful as it is. My best battery saving tip is to turn your display down to about 30-35%. Still looks great! Other battery drains are GPS, mobile hotspot, phone calls, and anything that uses the display for long periods ie games and movies. I easily get through a day using the phone more than what you've described. But it seems people are getting mixed results. Best solution? Car charger and an extra wall charger. Just my 2 cents! Hope your enjoying your TBolt!