• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Please Help! Flashing rom gone bad

tamazini

Lurker
Jun 14, 2011
First I would like to say that I'm a fan of this site and have ended up here many time seeking info and always found a great deal of it. You guys do a great job here. I should have signed up a long time ago and feel bad that it had to come to this to get me to join.I have been building custom computers for years and know most of the tricks of the trade so I thought what can go wrong here? Well I guess i really stepped in unknown territory and this is where my cocky attitude landed me lol. Well basically a month or two ago I flashed my optimus v with an overclockable kernal because in the PC world i'm very familiar with the benefits of doing so, and all has been well. Well today i did a little research (and I can't stress "little" enough) and learned about rom manager. So I picked it up to flash my phone once again but with the aosp rom that from what i understand would update to gingerbread. Well rom manager did not have it and i accidently flashed it with the google apps and it formatted everything and rebooted did the whole flash deal and rebooted and all was the same EXCEPT EVERYTHING WAS GONE! Contacts, apps, everything. Well I still have the basic apps minus gmail and android market app. I tried to restore using clockwork because i did make a restore file but when i reboot into clockwork anything i select the screen just goes blank so thats not even working right. I'm going overseas in two months and refuse to buy a new phone. I would be happy if i could just get android market back. I downloaded it and installed it straight off the browser but it wouldn't open. I tried using android-sdk to install an app installer but it won't install to the phone only the emulator where it works fine but does nothing for the well-being of my poor phone lol. Please any help would be greatly appreciated!

Take your sdcard and put it in your PC, then place the following recovery file on it:
Clockworkmod3.2.x.x

Connect your phone to your PC via USB, go into settings>>applications>>develoopment and be sure USB Debugging is checked, then open a command prompt

CD into the directory that has android-sdk, then the platform-tools directory
cd c:/PATH_TO_ANDROID-SDK/platform-tools

This is where adb.exe is located.

Type adb shell, this should give you a # prompt, if you get a $ prompt, you aren't rooted properly.

At the # prompt, type flash_image recovery /sdcard/NAME_OF_RECOVERY_FILE

Once it flashes, type reboot recovery

Once in recovery, go to backup/restore, choose your nandroid backup, restore it, and then reboot system.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones