• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Please help I am starting not to like my Hero

ScriptTease

Dec 14, 2009
Ok I have had the phone for about a week now. At first I really liked it a lot in fact I would say it is one of my favorite phones through Sprint over the last 10 years. The Hero has everything I want in a phone and there are so many neat apps for free. Although I like the phone very much there are a few things I have run into that I dont like. If anyone can answer these questions I would be really happy.

1. How do I delete a single call from the call history without losing them all.

2. Why can't I view youtube videos? Everytime I try to play one it says it cannot be played.

3. Is there a way to delete emails from all accounts at one time or do I have to enter each account?

3. Has there been any updates on the issues where emails do not delete from the server? If I read it and delete it on phone it still comes through outlook and vice versa. This alone is very annoying when it comes to emails.

If I can remember the other things that have been bugging me I will post them on here.

Thanks to whoever can help with these issues.

I can answer two of those.

In call history press and hold the call you want to delete and when the box comes up select the bottom 'delete from call history' from the menu

2nd, In your inbox press menu, then delete and select the ones you want to delete.

Hope that helps for the time being

Upvote 0
I can answer two of those.

In call history press and hold the call you want to delete and when the box comes up select the bottom 'delete from call history' from the menu

2nd, In your inbox press menu, then delete and select the ones you want to delete.

Hope that helps for the time being

Ok I see that the recent call thing works so I am glad you were able to help me with that. As for the email what I am talking about is that I have 3 email accounts. When I get a notification that I have emails I ahve to go into each account to delete them. On the Palm pre I was able to group all three accounts into a favorites section and it would show me all emails together and from there I could delete them. I could also go into each account individually if I chose to. Anyway this is what I would like to know is possible with the Hero.

Upvote 0
So, just to understand, you want your HTC Hero to function just like your Palm Pre in the above mentioned points?

While I can understand the desire to have this functionality, you simply cannot expect one product to function identically like another product, especially when they are from completely different manufacturers and run completely different operating systems.

That would be paramount to buying a Mac and getting upset that it doesn't quite function like your Windows machine. ;)

As for the issues you've mentioned above

2. Why can't I view youtube videos? Everytime I try to play one it says it cannot be played.

This isn't an issue with your Hero, it's an issue with a lot of people across a lot of phones across a lot of carriers: http://androidforums.com/sprint-htc-hero/27930-youtube-hates-me.html

I can't answer the others since I don't utilize those functions on my current set-up just yet. Have you tried searching these forums to see if other people have experienced and possibly solved these issues by finding the correct methods of utilizing the applications?

Upvote 0
So, just to understand, you want your HTC Hero to function just like your Palm Pre in the above mentioned points?

While I can understand the desire to have this functionality, you simply cannot expect one product to function identically like another product, especially when they are from completely different manufacturers and run completely different operating systems.

That would be paramount to buying a Mac and getting upset that it doesn't quite function like your Windows machine. ;)

As for the issues you've mentioned above

This isn't an issue with your Hero, it's an issue with a lot of people across a lot of phones across a lot of carriers: http://androidforums.com/sprint-htc-hero/27930-youtube-hates-me.html

I can't answer the others since I don't utilize those functions on my current set-up just yet. Have you tried searching these forums to see if other people have experienced and possibly solved these issues by finding the correct methods of utilizing the applications?

I am not looking for it to function just as the pre did. What I'm asking about is available on other phones and email programs for both pc and MAC and I just wondered 8f it was possible to do on the hero

Upvote 0
Ok I see that the recent call thing works so I am glad you were able to help me with that. As for the email what I am talking about is that I have 3 email accounts. When I get a notification that I have emails I ahve to go into each account to delete them. On the Palm pre I was able to group all three accounts into a favorites section and it would show me all emails together and from there I could delete them. I could also go into each account individually if I chose to. Anyway this is what I would like to know is possible with the Hero.

Not as you describe; the Hero does not have a unified inbox. But, there is an alternative. I forward all my accounts to GMail (or have gMail "pull" all my accounts) and use gmail filters to control what I see on my phone. It works reallly well and I love having "push" email. I've found that polling for mail has a significant impact on battery life, so having gMail tell me when I have mail is nice.

Perfect? no. Gmail isn't as good at displaying html email as the POP mail client, but I love the labelling features.

Hope this helps,

jd

Upvote 0
Not as you describe; the Hero does not have a unified inbox. But, there is an alternative. I forward all my accounts to GMail (or have gMail "pull" all my accounts) and use gmail filters to control what I see on my phone. It works reallly well and I love having "push" email. I've found that polling for mail has a significant impact on battery life, so having gMail tell me when I have mail is nice.

Perfect? no. Gmail isn't as good at displaying html email as the POP mail client, but I love the labelling features.

Hope this helps,

jd

+1

I just started utilizing GMail and the Push feature. I was previously polling from Hotmail, Yahoo and an office email server via IMAP. Hotmail is...rather was...my primary personal email account but I started the transition this weekend and so far so good.

Upvote 0

It seems like I read that Android 2.0+ is suppose to provide for this. The Hero will be getting the 2.1 update in the 1st half of next year.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones