1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Please help. I have tried 5 different forums and no one responds. :(

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jaman29, Aug 18, 2012.

1. jaman29

jaman29 Android Enthusiast

Hey guys, I am new here. I apologize if this has already been asked. This is my 6th HTC phone. I chose this one over the other HTC phones Virgin mobile had to offer and I love it. Ok, heres my question: I have heard that virgin does not allow roaming, so no prl updates. Is this true? Also, I have read that some people have software updates that start with like 2.02 etc, but my software number is 1.08.652.6 710RD. Android version 4.0.3. I have tried to update the software myself and even called htc. No luck. I am definitely not a stranger to HTC phones and rooting/modding them, but I cant figure some of this out. I also miss the 3d weather effect and the 3d carousel, but this is such a great phone I can do without. Thank you for your help Glad to be here. I have not rooted this phone, I just am curious if I am on the current software. Ive only had this phone 4 days. Thanks. Oh, and also some widgets I used to really enjoy I cannot find on this phone, like the htc calculator widget, flashlight and many others? Im aware that the sense version has been stripped down. Kind of disappointing to me.

2. jaman29

Can anybody help?

3. riggerman0421

riggerman0421 Well-Known Member

All the post you see about software updates are for the gsm version. The Virgin Mobile version is cdma. And Virgin is not known for pushing ota to their phones. As for the things you are missing from Sense, the One V is running Sense 4.0a, which is a stripped down version. It is missing some of the effects and widgets from full Sense.

4. jaman29

Great. Thank you for responding:) I knew it was running the stripped down version. And yes, virgin mobile sucks when it comes to lack of updates. I still love the phone. I think I may keep it for awhile. But im torn on moving over to the evo v. Even though I already had that phone, it has so many roms/mods/whatever already made for it, the opportunities are endless lol. Thank you.

5. riggerman0421

If you go look over on xda they do have a custom Rom with full Sense. You will have to root and unlock your bootloader, but they have an easy tutorial. Rooted mine 2 days after I bought it. It seems complicated at first, but if you just read over the whole thing and take it one step at a time, it's not too bad.

6. jaman29

Cool. Ill check it out. I root every htc phone i get. Im planning on rooting it, just wanted to play with it stock before i rooted it. Lol

7. jaman29

Which sense 4 rom are you using?

8. yahhboy

yahhboy Android Expert

If a viper Rom by team venom is available, I'd definitely reccomend that, they have the most tweaks :D
    Or virtuous, not sure if they're available on your phone, but it doesn't hurt to check :D

9. jaman29

Anyone know if their is a mod to get fully functioning sense 4.0 on the one v without root?

10. riggerman0421

That would require rewriting system files, so no. To get full Sense 4, you'll have to root and install s custom Rom.

11. jaman29

Ok does rom manager/clockwork mod recovery or amon ra work on this phone. Just curious. I havent rooted since the og evo 4g. Also is there a rom that looks like the rom that came on this device to a t, with only the addition of the full sense 4.0?

12. dobbs69

dobbs69 Well-Known Member

Not sure about rom manager but there is a ported cwm and twrp2 recovery for this phone.

13. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!
    VIP Member

I'll second this. I'm running the latest version of Viper on my One X and it's one of the best ROMs I've ever used. For customization options, it's 2nd to none. If they have one for the v, it's feed with a go.

14. riggerman0421

I personally use the twrp touch recovery. Just remember, there are gsm and cdma versions of this phone. Make sure anything you flash is for your phone model. All the roms, recoveries, and the superboot file to root your phone are clearly listed as either cdma or gsm on xda. Good luck and have fun with it.

15. jaman29

Ok thank you for your time. All i want is a stock full sense 4.0 rom with android 4.0.3 and I will be set for the life of this phone.

16. riggerman0421

Glad I could help.

HTC One V Forum

The HTC One V release date was April 2012. Features and Specs include a 3.7" inch screen, 5MP camera, 512GB RAM, Snapdragon S2 processor, and 1500mAh battery.

April 2012
Release Date
Reviews