• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Please help, I need suggestions on tools I should use

ayamopor

Lurker
Sep 13, 2019
I want to make an app that implements some sort of database system. The app will have multiple tabs on the side, some of which are just used to showcase tables (the content might include photos as well), and some are used for posts (similar to Facebook posts). The app does need the user info, but it doesn't need to verify it. The user then can post something on the post tab, perform searching on the tables, and submit a suggestion form.
Preferences:
1. Since I'm really new to app development, I'd really prefer to work with easier/more popular language and tools
2. It's mainly targeted for Android but wider implementability is of course welcomed
3. The app doesn't need to look amazing or dynamic-ish

Please let me know if you've got any suggestions :)
Thanks!

Welcome to Android Forums, ayamopor!

First, I think you should get familiar with Android Studio, if you're not already. It will come in very handy.

Next, I think you'll get the best help if you post on our Android Development board. There are developers there of all levels of experience.

Good luck with your app!

Reactions: GameTheory
Upvote 0
1. Since I'm really new to app development, I'd really prefer to work with easier/more popular language and tools
2. It's mainly targeted for Android but wider implementability is of course welcomed
3. The app doesn't need to look amazing or dynamic-ish
  1. The most widely used and supported language is Java. Android Studio is the standard IDE for app development, though there are other IDEs.
  2. If android is the target, then you're limited to android and ios. To develop for both platforms from one code base you'll need to use Visual Studio Code with the Xamarin plugin instead of Android Studio.
  3. That's fine, but it is recommended to at least stick to google's Material Design guidelines.
Before you dive into android apps, it is recommended to learn the basics of java first or you're really gonna struggle. Once you've learned some java, then dive right in with Android Studio and make a simple first app to get you going.

In the app development board that MoodyBlues linked you to above, there's some sticky threads at the top. Look through those threads for some really useful info.

As for myself, I work with Java(amongst others) and use Android Studio for android and Intelli J for the Linux desktop.

Cheers ;)

Reactions: MoodyBlues
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones