• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Please Help! Installing custom Kernel gone wrong

stevalder

Lurker
Jul 17, 2014
Hi I have a sony ericsson xperia arc...and tried flashing the kernel
so I could install a custom rom...at the end of the process I naively
disconnected the phone before it was finished...now It just sticks at the boot screen... now it doesn't recognise the phone in flashtool and I get a driver error...any help greatly appreciated!

the kernel is this one..XUKKernel [4.4.2014]
based on legacyxperia and that is what the phone says at boot screen

2ym6ow7.png

Upvote 0
I'm unfamiliar with the Sony flashing tool/process but it looks to me like it IS recognizing the device. It lists your device and says "unauthorized". Since Jellybean, a prompt pops up on the device when you attempt an adb connection and you have to authorize the pc.

I'm not sure how to get around this if the device doesn't boot.

Also, earlier did you mean that you don't have a custom recovery at all, or that you don't have a backup?

If you can use fastboot, we might be able to at least use recovery to flash a rom and get the phone booted. ...or maybe you just need to reflash the stock kernel??

Fair warning, I have absolutely ZERO experience with any Sony device. I'll do the best I can to help out, but it doesn't feel very comfortable telling you which files to flash on your device.

I'm going to ask around and see if I can find someone with some xperience (see what I did there? :p) that can help us out here.

Reactions: stevalder
Upvote 0
I also dont have much experience with sony devices, but like brian mentioned it does see the device. but somehow it's not enabling ADB. makes me believe something happenned with the boot.img (kernel)

the boot.img is mainly used for the ROM to boot, but the device can still boot into recovery & fastboot modes, but im almost positive you need a functioning kernel for anything ADB related

so "IF" you can get into a custom recovery, then you should be able to flash a custom kernel for your device and hopefully it will allow the tool to connect with your device, then you can install that stock rom and start over lol

if you do not have a custom recovery installed at the moment then it might be much worse than we hoped :/

1 small suggestion i would try (just to cross some things off the list) is to re-install the drivers for your device onto the pc your using.. maybe dis-connecting it early could have messed with the drivers on the pc and hopefully not the device..

Upvote 0
HI i would like to thank you both for your input and suggestions ...the phone was detected ...but as was mentioned it wouldn't allow fastboot in adb mode...i spent several hours today reading various forums and watching youtube videos....the downloads and drivers i had installed on my pc was a nightmare...so i started from scratch...and uninstalled the lot ...after installing sdk tools and java dev kit via self installers..along with sony drivers .. i had to very quickly flash the tft image before it got an error and the device disconnected ...on the second attempt voila !I managed to install my generic rom using flashtool ..not fastboot adb ......i'm so pleased!

:smokingsomb:

Upvote 0
HI i would like to thank you both for your input and suggestions ...the phone was detected ...but as was mentioned it wouldn't allow fastboot in adb mode...i spent several hours today reading various forums and watching youtube videos....the downloads and drivers i had installed on my pc was a nightmare...so i started from scratch...and uninstalled the lot ...after installing sdk tools and java dev kit via self installers..along with sony drivers .. i had to very quickly flash the tft image before it got an error and the device disconnected ...on the second attempt voila !I managed to install my generic rom using flashtool ..not fastboot adb ......i'm so pleased!

:smokingsomb:

So it's working again??! Yay!!!

Upvote 0
Yep!!! And if I may elaborate....

My phone was sim locked...with a locked bootloader
I got it unlocked with test point method....which in turn
unlocked the bootloader....I had prepared myself for recovery
and backups etc...and in the heat of the moment decided to install
a custom rom without doing so ...I want to try a kitkat Xperiance on my phone (see that Brian haha...;) ) so tried installing the kernel for ultrakitkat rom......major fail...I wll research and try again :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones